Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if an account is in collections &

tag
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

if an account is in collections &

I have 30 days to validate and it's not yet on my reports, if I pay the collection agency will they still end up putting it on my reports or not? I would like to pay it before it goes to the credit bureaus.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: if an account is in collections &

I would get a commitment in writing from them not to report the account to the CRAs in exchange for a PIF.

Better yet, find out if the CA actually bought the debt outright, or if the original creditor is merely retaining the agency to collect. If the latter, talk to the original creditor about paying in full and having the debt recalled from the CA.
Message 2 of 6
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

Here is the thing, she called me at work asking me what kind of verification I was looking for. This was a 2nd letter sent because the first letter what they sent me was a computer printout. In the second letter I told her that was not sufficient and she said by law it was. I told her she was wrong. I wanted something showing the doctor, break down of charges and something showing my signature. In the letter I specifically wrote down what proof I requested. Then she calls me again stating she got what I was looking for and will me mailing it out to me. I told her ok. I don't want to get loud with this person, if you know what I mean, because if it is mine I want to be able to pay it so they don't send it to collections. About them owning the debt she completely ignored the question and I also asked in the letter.
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

mnegron1969 wrote:
Here is the thing, she called me at work asking me what kind of verification I was looking for. This was a 2nd letter sent because the first letter what they sent me was a computer printout. In the second letter I told her that was not sufficient and she said by law it was. I told her she was wrong. I wanted something showing the doctor, break down of charges and something showing my signature. In the letter I specifically wrote down what proof I requested. Then she calls me again stating she got what I was looking for and will me mailing it out to me. I told her ok. I don't want to get loud with this person, if you know what I mean, because if it is mine I want to be able to pay it so they don't send it to collections. About them owning the debt she completely ignored the question and I also asked in the letter.

Per the FDCPA and debt validation, all the CA has to show you is the OC name, address, and balance owed. In fact, if this is medical, it is illegal for them to provide anymore info like a breakdown in charges due to privacy and HIPAA. Never talk to a CA via phone. You could get a breakdown via the medical office and offer a PFD directly to them if they still own it. A PFD to them could get a CA deletion.
Message 4 of 6
lessismore2014
Frequent Contributor

will the collection agency tell me wether or not the own the debt?
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

mnegron1969 wrote:
will the collection agency tell me wether or not the own the debt?

A CA will tell you anything to get paid. Don't talk to them. Get in touch with the OC.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.