Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if you only have late payments

tag
ZAXsmf
Established Member

if you only have late payments

If late payments are the only negatives on you report should you see a score increase every month you have on time payments.

Starting myFICO 485 12/12
Current my FICO 653.
Mid score from mortgage app 690
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: if you only have late payments

@ZAXsmf wrote:

If late payments are the only negatives on you report should you see a score increase every month you have on time payments.

I'm not understanding your question. Having late payments on a account can really hurt your score especially if they are 90 day late or more. Those are considered major derogatory, They can affect your score from the time you went late up to 7 yrs. How many do you have and how many days are the late?

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No one knows the specific decay rate for scoring of delinquencies, but anecdotal posts indicate that minor delinquencies (30/60 lates) seem to have little remaining impact after apaprox two years.

If delinquencies become major, then that seems to have a dual impact.  First, it places the consumer file in what I refer to as a "dirty" scoring category, or "bucket," which results in more harsh overall scoring.  Additionally, the scoring of the major derogs themselves seems to maintain impact beyond two years.

In my opinion, the primary issue is whether the delinquency is major or minor.  If the file is devoid of any major delinquencies, then impact should not be significant after approx two years.

Message 3 of 4
ZAXsmf
Established Member

I was under the impression that they have less weight as they get older and as time goes by with out new late payments you would see an increase.

Starting myFICO 485 12/12
Current my FICO 653.
Mid score from mortgage app 690
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.