cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if you opt out no more pre approval credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you opt out no more pre approval credit cards?

I was dealing with the hipaa process earlier and opted out.  Does this mean that i can no longer do the pre approval links for the credit cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: if you opt out no more pre approval credit cards?

Yes. I'm also opted out and there are no more pre-approvals of any sort. Even when I try pre-approval sites for companies I already do business with, I get nothing.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it quick to opt back in when you're ready?

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it quick to opt back in when you're ready?

Yes and it will take about 6 months before you start to get offers again.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Opting out does not prevent creditors from making you "pre-approved" offers for credit provided they did not obtain your name from a listing they obtained from a CRA.

A creditor with which you have no current relationship has no way of knowing whether you have opted out, and has no restriction uder the FCRA on making you an offer for credit.

It will, however, not be a firm offer for credit as defined under the FCRA.

Opting out refers to preventing a CRA from including your name in a listing they provide to creditors of consumers who meet criteria provided to them, and for which the CRA provides a lising of consumrs who meet the specified criteria.  If a creditor receives such a listing, they must send a "firm offer for credit" to each consumer on that listing.

Opting back in requires only that you send notice of rescission to the CRA of your prior opt-out.

Message 5 of 6
Repairman
Established Contributor

How do I check if I previously opted out?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.