Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inquiries

tag
rhall2009
Contributor

inquiries

I'm having a problem. I used to have a furniture account with Schewels in 2012. I gave up the furniture in 2012. They sold the stuff and since then they randomly hard pull my credit and I'm not applying for anything. I confronted them and they have the nerve to say they can because I had an application on file. This can't be true. What can I do?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: inquiries

Do you have any continung debt obligation to them?

Message 2 of 5
rhall2009
Contributor

They say i owe money because supposedly the furniture was sold on a day they had a sale so they lost money? Weird to me but any case i know that u can be soft pulled to review account info and such but a hard inquiry seems illegal to me. I thought i had to initiate another application. I mean they should not be able to hard pull credit reports from 2+ year old applications

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this debt on your credit report? if not  then NO they cannot , if they ARE reporting a debt then sadly YES Smiley Sad

@rhall2009 wrote:

They say i owe money because supposedly the furniture was sold on a day they had a sale so they lost money? Weird to me but any case i know that u can be soft pulled to review account info and such but a hard inquiry seems illegal to me. I thought i had to initiate another application. I mean they should not be able to hard pull credit reports from 2+ year old applications

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

That does not sound like a legitimate debt to me, as what they decide to sell to others after you incur debt would most likely be irrelevant.

However, you hve an issue of whether you have a debt that must first be resolved.

FCRA 604 gives permissiible purpose for pulling your credit report if a business either has a legitimate business purpose for making inquiry into your credit, or they are colleciing on a debt.  They must provide a statement of permissible purpose in order to obtain your credit report, so your credit file does contain their assertion of a debt.

If you can resolve the issue of owing a debt, that would, in my opinion, remove any assertion of permissible purpose on their part.

However, the disptue process rarely resolves contested issues of permissible purpose, as the CRAs acceot the sttement provided to them.

You may need to bring civil action for impermissible access to your credit file in order to get resolution of the factual issue of presence of any debt obligation to them.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.