Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is lexington law good?

tag
accjohn1990
Contributor

is lexington law good?

I signed up for the basic lexington law service for $25/month.  They give you live credits scores from eq, ex, and tu.  They also say they can remove negative marks on your credit report.  I have a closed collections from a cable bill 2015 and a settled charge off from discover 2013.  I also have 37 credit inquiries.  Can lexington law help me clean up my credit?  Is it worth it?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: is lexington law good?

They can't do anything that you can't do. Having said that, some people don't care to deal with things like this so it's worth it to them.
Message 2 of 12
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@accjohn1990 wrote:

I signed up for the basic lexington law service for $25/month.  They give you live credits scores from eq, ex, and tu.  They also say they can remove negative marks on your credit report.  I have a closed collections from a cable bill 2015 and a settled charge off from discover 2013.  I also have 37 credit inquiries.  Can lexington law help me clean up my credit?  Is it worth it?

Probably not.

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 12
kingkai1990
Contributor

Maybe they can with the inquiries. I used them. they are completely useless after the first three months. Expect them to drag on and on. 

Message 4 of 12
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I doubt that they could do anything with the inquiries if those are legitimate.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's important to understand exactly what Lexington Law actually does - they are simply disputing negative items on your credit report.  They initiate disputes with the credit bureaus which notifies each company listed on your credit report and requires them to verify that the debt is valid.  If the company cannot validate or does not respond within the timeframe allotted, the item is removed from the credit report.

You can achieve the same thing yourself by using the 3 links below and doing the disputing yourself and you will have the same results without needing to pay a company to do it for you.  The main issue I have with Lex Law is that they will only dispute a certain number of items per month, which means you need to use them for months on end to get a larger amount of things disputed.

Equifax Online Dispute - https://www.equifax.com/personal/disputes

Transunion Online Dispute - https://dispute.transunion.com/dp/dispute/landingPage.jsp

Experian Online Dispute - http://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

One note on the Inquiries - regardless of whether you decide to use Lex Law or do it yourself, only dispute the Inquiries if they are not legitimate (identity theft, etc...).  Disputing legitimate inquiries can throw up a big red flag for creditors, especially in regards to trying to get a mortage.  Inquiries stay on your credit report for 2 years and then fall off so if they are legitimate inquiries then just let them fall off.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@accjohn1990 wrote:

I signed up for the basic lexington law service for $25/month.

That's $300 a year you could put to much better use.

@accjohn1990 wrote:

They give you live credits scores from eq, ex, and tu.  

What kind of scores?  If they don't specifically say FICO scores, then they're useless scores for you.

@accjohn1990 wrote:

I have a closed collections from a cable bill 2015 and a settled charge off from discover 2013. 

You can dispute the cable bill and the discover both if they're paid -- they won't sue you if they're paid and just disputing them IN WRITING to the CRAs using a variety of methods for any wrong information can get them deleted.  If one dispute doesn't work, wait a period of time and try another.

@accjohn1990 wrote:

I also have 37 credit inquiries.  

Inquiries don't matter after 12 months and disappear after 24 months.  List the dates of those inquiries and we can tell you how long they'll "hurt" for.  FICO doesn't really care much about inquiries overall -- some people have more than you do and still get approvals.

If you are credit rebuilding, half of that is getting NEW accounts and paying them on time and not reporting much utilization.  What GOOD accounts do you have reporting?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've gotten a few sync TU inquiries removed when I applied for two cards and closed an account i just opened that was dumb for my location… BP is not in socal. It took several letters
Message 8 of 12
accjohn1990
Contributor

I cancelled my membership on the last day of my free trial.  But, i still wasted $15 on the credit report i had to buy to sign up.  The $25 membership focusses on onely 1 bureau at a time and they will only dispute one third of your accounts in a month.  They claim this is because if they send to many disputes the bureau will lock your account for 90 days due to frivelous disputes.  I have disputed 6 accounts myself in a month before and not been locked.  So if you have 3 negative accounts reporting to all three bureaus then it will take a minimum of 9 months just to address them.  The reps are salesmen and they make it difficult to cancel your membership.  I used the online chat to cancel and even there i had to defend my position repeatedly when cancelling.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

is lexington law good?

Is lexington law legit .they are charging me a fee of 129.00$.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.