Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is this re-aging?

tag
freedom14
Valued Member

is this re-aging?

I'm a little confused about re-aging. Okay, I'm a lot confused. 

I have a couple of collections that I know are roughly from sometime in 2008 and 2010. These are from my credit report that I pulled from annualcreditreport.com less than a week ago.  Here are the quick summaries for both:

This one I think is from around mid 2008:

Enhanced Recovery Company

Amount: $141

Date opened: 06/2012

Reported since: 07/2012

Last reported: 072012

Status details: This account is schedule to continue on record until 01/2017

And this one I think is from mid 2010:

IMC Credit Services

Amount: $356

Date opened: 04/2010

Reported since: 07/2010

Last reported: 03/2011

Status details: This account is schedule to continue on record until 09/2016

How do I find the DOFD on the credit reports? 

Is this considered re-aging if the one from 2008 is schedule to go off by 2017? That's like almost a decade!

If someone could shed light on this for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: is this re-aging?

Re-aging is when the DoFD of the OC account is changed.

DoFD is the date of first delinquency that lead to the charge off or collection.

Even though the accounts with the OC were opened in 2008 and 2010, it depends on when you first became late and never brought the account current before it was charged off or sent to collections, plus 180 days.    It would be a maximum reporting time of 7.5 years.

With a 1/2017 exclusion date, the DoFD would have been July 2009 subtracting 7.5 years.

For the other one, 9/2016 means the DoFD would have been 3/2009 subtracting 7.5 years. 

Sometimes the 180 days are not added in so if that is the case DoFD would have been 1/2010 and 9/2009.

Message 2 of 7
freedom14
Valued Member

For the 2017 one, my phone contract ended in 09/2008.

So let's say I was late in 10/2008. Isn't 7.5 years from then roughly 03/2016 and not 2017?

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did they keep charging you after the contract ended?

Your best bet would be to contact the OC and find out what is going on and see if they will tell you the DoFD.  That is an entire years difference.

Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@freedom14 wrote:

For the 2017 one, my phone contract ended in 09/2008.

So let's say I was late in 10/2008. Isn't 7.5 years from then roughly 03/2016 and not 2017?

It would be 4/2016, yes. 

Message 5 of 7
freedom14
Valued Member

I don't think they kept charging me. It was a final bill that I didn't pay.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You should never have to guess at the reported DOFD. 

A debt collector is required to provide the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA within 90 days after their reporting.  No exceptions.  FCRA 623(a)(5).

That reqirment is in recognition of the fact that the CRA must have that date in order to calculate the max date they can continue to include the collection in credit reprots they issue.

It is thus required to be in your credit file.

If you cannot get the DOFD from credit reports you obtain, then you can send the CRA a formal request for that information under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1).

Section 609(a)(1) requests must be accompanided by proof of your identity, the current processing fee, which is $11.00.

Once you have the DOFD that was actually reported by the debt collector, you would then have basis for any challenge of its accuracy.

Expected or estimated exclusion dates are totally informal, and cant be used to determine the reported DOFD with any accuracy.

See section 623(a)(5) for the details of what is required of a debt collector as part of their required reporting ot the DOFD on the OC account.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.