Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

judgement of 9 years old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

judgement of 9 years old

currently have a judgement that is 9 years old this month. The SOL is 10 years but in TX they can revive it up to two years later. 

my question is, if i begin making payments on this can they begin reporting the judgement on my credit report again? im trying to avoid that from happening. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: judgement of 9 years old

@Anonymous wrote:

currently have a judgement that is 9 years old this month. The SOL is 10 years but in TX they can revive it up to two years later. 

my question is, if i begin making payments on this can they begin reporting the judgement on my credit report again? im trying to avoid that from happening. 

Nope, one run of 7 years is all it gets.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The judgement will continue to be excluded from your credit report, and thus remains excluded from scoring.

However, it can still become known by a simple public records search, and thus could have an effect on evaluation of your credit.

I presume that it remains unsatisfied.......

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

The judgement will continue to be excluded from your credit report, and thus remains excluded from scoring.

However, it can still become known by a simple public records search, and thus could have an effect on evaluation of your credit.

RobertEG, thank you for your response. So if i begin making payments this year, in the 9th year, they still cannot report it because it exceeded the time allowed on my report of 7 years. Can they revive the judgement and make it report then? I want to be certain before I mail them a check and begin payments. I want to pay it off so I can buy a home in 2 years and I know that having this outstanding will bar me from doing just that. 

Message 4 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

RobertEG, thank you for your response. So if i begin making payments this year, in the 9th year, they still cannot report it because it exceeded the time allowed on my report of 7 years. Can they revive the judgement and make it report then? Its possible they can renew the judgment if its about to expire but if they do it still cant be back on your report as its had its run of 7 years already.

I want to be certain before I mail them a check and begin payments. I want to pay it off so I can buy a home in 2 years and I know that having this outstanding will bar me from doing just that. 

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I have never seen the CRA continue to show a judgment longer than 7 years from its date of entry, but yes, it is possible that they could continue to include it until the statute of limitations on enforcement of the judgment has expired.

The controlling statutory provision reads:

"FCRA 605(a)(2)  Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry, antedate the report by more than seven years or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period."

I know of no case law precedent where the issue of extension of exclusion of an unpaid debt has been affirmed when the judgment is still enforceable.

Please advise if you find any such cases......

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.