Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: judgement

I think so too.. They were probably going to fall off anyways so they figured why not. Good for you. Good luck on your mortgage!

Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Songburd18
Message 22 of 26
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You really need to talk with a real estate attorney. This is going to become a lien against your property and I don't think the lender will close the loan.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
You really need to talk with a real estate attorney. This is going to become a lien against your property and I don't think the lender will close the loan.

I'm not an attorney, but as I understand it, in many (most) states, there is a homestead exemption. So if the OP were to get the loan (he will not), no lien can be file against his home if that is his primary residence.

If that is the case, one might ask, why do title companies even bother in cases where they have utter certainty that the borrower has no other real-estate to call a primary residence? The answers might be:

1. If a mistake is made, where the borrower does have another home, it is a super expensive mistake, as the lienholder will "cloud" the title of the home so that it cannot be sold, and if it is, lienholder will take payment from proceeds.
  2. If the borrower decides to take an "extended vacaction" someplace else, and buys another piece of property, and starts living there, the creditor could assert that the debtor is living in a new homestead, and therefore, the claim to old homestead exemption is invalid.

Given that the OP's judgement is from 2012, the judgement is still enforceable (< 10 years).

The collection agency might not check your credit report, OP, so you want to play it cool when you negotiate. If you tell them that you are getting a mortgage, they will try to nail you to the wall. Get a friend if you do not feel comfortable doing it cold turkey.

Message 24 of 26
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure in NC the lien can be placed, just can't be collected on while he has the homestead exemption...if he were to turn the property into a rental it would no longer apply and the lien would then be "collectable"

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 25 of 26
wa3more
Established Contributor

Regardless of the possibility of placing  a lien, i don't think any lender will close with an outstanding judgment. Wages can then be garnished and OP may have difficulty paying mortgage. And you must disclose all outstanding judgments on the application.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.