cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

judgment question - is this a valid way to proceed?

tag
mauve
Valued Contributor

judgment question - is this a valid way to proceed?

I do keep going over and over what I should do about my judgment issue - I found this posting somewhere else (excerpt)

"If you have a RECORDED judgment, get a CERTIFIED copy from the Court. Examine it very carefully for ANY discrepancy between what is on your reports and what has been recorded.
If you find a discrepancy, or if you find that you have NO actual recorded judgment, you can send the following dispute letter to the CRA's.

Dear CRA,
My name is xxxxx xxxxxx , my SS # is xxx xx xxxx.
I am sending this dispute certified mail # xxxx to make sure you receive it.
My report # is xxxxx.
There is no such judgment of record # xxxx from this Court for this date for this amount from this creditor.
I have certified documentation from the Court that supports my dispute of this erroneous entry on my report.
If this entry is verified, please send me the name and address of the provider or furnisher providing this data, and the manner in which it was provided in order that I may pursue additional legal remedies.

Very truly yours,

xxxxxx
"

It goes on to say that you'll probably get a canned response about their investigation - then you contact the court to find out their CRA reporting procedures to demonstrate that they aren't actually reporting to the CRAs and then:

"You then send another letter (CM but not RR) to the CRAs along with a copy of the letter from the court house........demanding that they delete the judgment immediately. Stress that you ARE NOT disputing........but demanding deletion of the public record and request an updated copy of your report.
**Be sure to send all of these letters Certified Mail!! It's very important you have a paper trail/proof of correspondence."

Does this sound on the level?  I mean, the premise is that you do request deletion on the basis that you found inaccurate information (which I did - the courts are both listed incorrectly) and that the CRAs aren't ultimately investigating properly.  This, of course, is separate from the issue of dealing with the OC. 

Message Edited by mauve on 03-09-2010 09:54 AM

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: judgment question - is this a valid way to proceed?

§ 611(a)(1)(A) says you can dispute the completeness or accuracy of any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency.

However, if you find something like a dollar amount, date or spelling of your name in the judgment, while it may push it off temporarily until it can be updated, that's merely a short term solution.

Getting the judgment vacated makes it go bye-bye.

Message 2 of 3
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: judgment question - is this a valid way to proceed?

Do you have any input on this:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Troubleshoot-letter-to-attorney-please/td-p/6...

I'm planning to send this out today - I'm hoping I struck the right tone and can gauge how adversarial the situation is. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.