Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just makes no sense

tag
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

just makes no sense

I've been "rebuilding" since November, but at this point I'm throwing my hands in the air and just saying **bleep** it until the derogs on my report just fall off.  It is an absolute no win situation and the CRA's are an absolute joke.

Case in point.  I just bought a new car and the old one was paid off by the dealer.  That was a month ago.

Thursday, i get an update from Equifax.  15 point drop.  No big deal, I've read where you get dings for paying off an account. 

Friday, TU, same reasoning, 13 point drop.

Today, Experian, exact same reason, 27 point increase?????!!!!!!!!!

I'm normally not one to complain about increases, but for heaven's sake, I'd just love to see some consistency.  

with the exception of inquiries, my reports are identical (except TU deleted a judgment that never should have been on my report, the other two didn't) however my scores with the three bureaus have a range of up to an 80 point difference.  

The final straw for me came today when I check my equifax from April of last year vs. today. 

In April I had zero revolvers, one positive tradeline and 20 collections. 

Today, I have 6 positive revolvers (30% util), 3 positive tradelines and 11 collections.  A big change, right?

Nope, I'm 9 points higher than I was.   

I refuse to file bankruptcy, simply bc I saw the biggest turd on the planet (my wife's ex husband) do so and completely screw her over on her mortgage after not following court order to remove it from her name, and I just simply won't do anything that idiot did (except marry his ex-wife.)  But at this point, doing the  right things have done absolutely nothing to improve my situation, so all I can do is pay my bills I have, on time, grow the cards I now have and wait for the false crap they refuse to delete and the very few things that were actually my fault, to fall off and see if they can grace me with a score that matches.  However, at this point, I don't have much hope.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: just makes no sense

I know your frustration, I've been there myself.  But don't let that drag you down.  Building a clean, thick file is what you want.  Keep working on the bad and gardening the good.  You will get there!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 17
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

doesn't seem like it can get more frustrating than 11 months of nothing but positives only getting me 9 points.  

Just can't fathom the logic. 

Message 3 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is worth it.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 17
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@MANNING2379 wrote:

doesn't seem like it can get more frustrating than 11 months of nothing but positives only getting me 9 points.  

Just can't fathom the logic. 

I have 6 positive revolvers (30% util), 3 positive tradelines and 11 collections

11 collections is a major hit to any credit report - not much difference between 20 and 11, that's still a ton of "baddies".

1 or 2 collections that are maybe 3-4 years old will still hit your credit report, just not as bad, and at 5-6 years even less, but they will still affect your scoring - you have 9 total positive and 11 total negitive, you have a ways to go before your scores greatly improves.

Ask yourself if YOU as a lender were looking at a credit report that had this many negitives what you would think?  Note that "best intentions" and personal stories might help on recon, but not on a generic credit score or report. I know this is not what you want to hear, but when a lender sees 20 or 11 collections, generally they are going to run.

EDIT add - note that I'm not making any judgements as to why/how you have collections - not my place or intent - I'm just taking about factors that depress credit scoring and approvals. 

Message 5 of 17
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

judge all you want, if you've ever been through a divorce then you'll understand, if not, you probably won't.

But to say there is not much difference between 20 and 11 is a pretty strange statement. There is lot of difference, it's almost half.  

my issue is that there have been 17 positive events that took place on my credit report in the last 11 months.  (8 new positives and 9 negatives removed) nothing anyone can say will convince me that a 9 point gain is justified. that's just silly.  

i'm not concerned with approvals.  I have what I want in regards to cards and vehicles. my issue is with an asinine scoring model (all 47 of them) that use everything BUT logic to create a make believe score that, according to this forum, sometimes matters and sometimes doesn't.  

a 41 point difference from the exact same event can not be justified to be logical. 

only gaining 9 points  from 11 months of nothing but positives can not be justified to be logical. 

I'm not expecting to have an 850 with the collections on my account (fyi, most are very old) but my scores based on where they were to where they are, also, can not be justified to be logical. 

i appreciate everyone's responses, and if this sounds like whining, so be it, but there is no logic when it comes to rebuilding. 

Message 6 of 17
Hokies2379
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

well, my tunnel will be a long time from now. bc i refuse to spend another second on proactively rebuilding, it has done literally nothing.

whatever happens, happens, at this point. 

thanks for your responses. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are your collection accounts marking you as late every month?  Continuously getting late payment marks will keep your score low regardless of the positive tradelines you currently have.

Message 8 of 17
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@MANNING2379 wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

well, my tunnel will be a long time from now. bc i refuse to spend another second on proactively rebuilding, it has done literally nothing.

whatever happens, happens, at this point. 

thanks for your responses. 

As I mentioned in my first post, I made NO judgements as to why you had 11 collections on your credit report. Most everyone here has their own sad story, mine would go on for many pages, and believe me is not an easy trip about how life events are unfair (business failure after 18 years, IRS tax audit where they demanded $167,000, foreclousre on a second mortgage where I'd never made a late payment, and those are the easy ones, it goes on and on)  - no one I know plans on getting into credit "default".

None of this changes anything, the "system" scores based on factors considered for future defaults and past defaults are a big part of that consideration. There are many stories on this forum where members have taken bankruptcy (the ultimate default) and recovered within 2-3 years following a slow, steady, humbling experience to regain financial health and yet even then the bankruptcy will haunt them for 7-10 years in cretain "credit" ways.

You can deny whatever you want, give up, yell, scream, and blame me if that helps, but the fact remains that 3-4 collections on a credit report are a big red STOP sign for lenders, 11 is a huge one and it doesn't matter if there were 50 before, to a lender and the FICO scoring model "collections" are a huge negitive issue.

I suggest that you don't give up, at the very worst 7 years after they'll all fall off your credit report and you'll be golden again. You can speed that recovery time up by being proactive and yes, its frustrating and not "fair" but that is the system - ignoring it or getting mad doesn't change anything.    

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know theres different scorcards within the fico score . Not every report gets scored the same way . I believe the Fico 8 has 8-12 different scorcards . Your probably in a different scorcard now than you were when you first started .

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/how-scorecards-affect-credit-scores.aspx

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-Scoring-Buckets-or-quot-Scorecards-q...

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.