Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

laFenix will Rise - Rebuilding my way to the top again

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: laFenix will Rise - Rebuilding my way to the top again

Oops! Sorry for misunderstanding laFenix!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake Em71. Smiley Embarassed

Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@

Message 22 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MikkiD - no worries!  Smiley Happy  ... your most recent post came while I was typing the other one, and I didn't see until after I posted lol.  we all make goofs Smiley Wink  I definitely have, at least, or else I wouldn't be on this journey, yeah? haha Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@rmduhon wrote:
Mortgage is an instalment loan

True a mortgage is....but a HELOC might be considered revolving debt that is secured with your home equity, so I think may be figured in revolving credit utilization. Does anyone here know for sure how a HELOC is treated by Fico?

HELOCS 35K or less they are typically treated as revolving debt any higher and they are installment debt.

@gdale6....are you saying 35k balance or 35k credit limit on the HELOC?

AFAIK its balance not the CL.

Neither actually senor; the only relevant score that my 27K CL HELOC is factoring into (5K balance reported during my test) is EX FICO 2; TU FICO 4, EQ FICO 5, all FICO 8, and all FICO 9 flatly ignore it as a revolving account.

It is explicitly listed as a HELOC on all three bureaus, as a result I suspect all HELOC's are excluded as long as they're flagged as such rather than their being some limit which was just a SWAG before by forum members... or if there is a limit it's less than 27K and since PLOC's and credit cards routinely get to 20K and beyond, at this point I doubt it's a dollar value on it.

Jury is still out as to whether it counts as installment though, not quite sure how to test that unless we find an upper bound on installment utilization at least for my own testing purposes on my file.

        
Message 24 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@

That's been there for a long while on Equifax, as near as I can determine it doesn't hold with any FICO algorithm since 2004.

Something that needs more testing but from all the points I gained from having a nearly paid off installment loan (which is incidently still open today), I lost when my mortgage opened... which suggests they are both being counted for installment utilization purposes, which further suggests they're both installment loans rather than seperate.

VantageScore 3 does seem to mark them seperately though, I jumped ~40 points there with a mortgage reporting IIRC, but that's not really relevant in the current credit market (unfortunately, I hit 803 there this morning haha).

        
Message 25 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: laFenix will Rise - Rebuilding my way to the top again: April/May 2017 Update

(Note: I actually wrote this thread last week, but somehow didn't post it, so I posted now.)

WOW!  What a month!  This time last month I was surviving, blinded to the reality of our credit report/score situation.  It controlled our lives, but no more!  It feels so good to take control of it again.  It's an exciting time, that's for sure.  My scores aren't great, and there's a big climb ahead for us, but at least I'm taking charge as best I can.  I've learned so much, too!  Glass mental ceilings are being shattered, and it's feeling really good to strech out my wings for a change.  I know before long I'll be flying.

Learning Points:

• There are so many different scores, and so it's important to work on the overall report, simultaneously, while being aware of the score that a particular lender uses
  • It IS possible to have more than 500% of one's income extended in credit cards - amazing!
  • It IS possible to get a HELOC with at least a 550 score - blessings!
  • It IS possible to wipe out a list of pretty bad derogatories within 3 months
  • Hope runs high with 40% down payment when wanting a purchase mortgage with NFCU, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed

April Recap:

• Early April started with a big dream to buy a bigger house, so I set out on seeing how to make it happen, knowing DH had NO credit report/score and mine was poor.
  • April 7 pulled my first report in a very long time; faced the (unpleasant) music. Started taking action re: fixing my reports (removing derogs, paying down accts, disputing errors, etc).  This will be constant until I'm 850x3, I think, but already I'm seeing improvement, so that's encouraging.
  • April 13 found hope re: a HELOC (despite FICO pulling at 558 Smiley Surprised)
  • April 26 started DHs credit (woohoo)
  • May 2 signed HELOC!! (omg I can't believe it ... I'm still holding my breath until it funds next week. fingers crossed!)

May Goals:

- Refi auto, if possible, w/LFCU.  Spoke to them today, but they think that they won't be able to offer me a better rate than Chase.  Best case: They can, I accept, and I get $200 bonus, plus account perks.  Worst case: I'll use the hard pull to open a share acct with online banking and access my EQ FICO score monthly for free.  The thought is the sooner I get the HP over, the sooner I can move past it.

- Get DH as Approved-ready as possible for the USAA Limitless.  We technically have different state residences. His state is already accepting apps.  I'm thinking after he PIFs and it reports, perhaps I'll see a good enough change to be ready to have him app.  Keeping those fingers crossed!

I'll work on an updated siggy soon.  
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: laFenix will Rise - Rebuilding my way to the top again: May 2017 Update

OK, so a mini update.

I applied for a loan refinance with LFCU, and was turned down, but I'm not devastated.  Either way I wanted to open an account with them, and a hard pull would have been necessary for that.  Despite their denial, I'll still be able to open a share account with them, as will my husband, and we'll both have access to our monthly EQ scores, which are hard to get for free otherwise.  Also, I can setup Constellation accounts for my kids, which means that when we're in that part of town, I can take them to some pretty neat museums for free.  The denial also means I can request another free credit report from the three bureaus, which I'm eager to see, so all's good.

The HELOC funded, and I'm still in awe that I was approved!  The score they pulled last month was 558 - their cutoff is 550!  The rate isn't great, but it's the tool that we need right now to get things moving in the right direction, and it's less than my credit card rate with a much higher limit (if I were to leave a CC balance, that is).

This month ...

• I'll PIF our cards, and try to start the monthly habit of requesting higher balances and lower rates a few days after PIFing.
  • I'll monitor our TU with wallethub (daily access to the report), DC (me), and BoA (him) for our FICOs.
  • I'll monitor our EQ scores with LFCU accounts that I'll setup this month and the report with creditkarma accounts.
  • I'll monitor EX scores and reports with freecreditscore.com
  • I'll also work on fixing my report more.  I'm motivated by several derogs that I've been successful in removing, so I'm optimistic about the others.
  • I'll work towards getting another HELOC on another property (timeframe June/July), which will help towards the dp on the new house we're trying to buy.

I still need to work on a new siggy.  It's coming Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Learning Point: After reviewing https://www.equifax.com/personal/products, I realized that the scores that I pulled last month as part of the Equifax Complete Premier package were NOT FICO scores, afterall.  The thing is, I actually knew this from years ago, when I was good at managing my credit and whatnot.  I just thought that so much time had passed that things had changed, but, nope, not that much.  Regardless, the reports are genuine, and I'm still working on correcting the baddies, so it's still a positive. Smiley Happy

Progress: I was able to open a Northpointe Bank Ultimate checking account with a potential 5% APY.  I've had several interactions with them throughout the process, and I'm quite happy with their customer service, and how they have this account set up.  

I'm a bit of a math nerd, so I calculated that if I do 15 transactions averaging $0.27 with only $100 minimum in the account all year, it'll be similar to having a 10% cash back return.  If I keep $1k minimum in the account, it'd be better than 100% cash back equivalent.  Of course, with $1k minimum, having transactions averaging not more than than $2.70 would result in better than a 10% equivalent.  My goal would be to build up to $10k in this account (over and above the $100 minimum deposit to establish the account) to maximize the APY return ($500/yr). Since the potential return here would be better than any of the cashback credit cards (so long as I stay within the appropriate guidelines to make the math work), each month I'd first spend my 15 transactions from that $100 overage, which would only be earning 0.1%, and then transfer what I've spent back into the account to have it ready to repeat the next month. From there it would be business as usual with the cashback cards. This 5% account is much better than what the other banks/credit unions are offering on even their savings accounts, so I'm pleased with the concept, and I'm looking forward to implementing it once the card arrives.  The nice thing is that their statement cycles from the 1st to the end of the month, so there's even less to remember with this strategy.  I'm not sure why, but it's the little things like this that put a smile on my face lol. 

Update: In the meantime, I'm still working on fixing my report.  I just wish I could have daily updated access to it for free with EQ and EX like TU offers (https://membership.trueidentity.com/tucm/login.page?).  It sure would make things simpler, that's for sure!

Learning Point: My husband has newly established credit, and no installment loans.  I came across this post, which seems like it should give a nice point booster before the end of the year.  This week the plan is to move forward with it and hope for the best.  Here's the link: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Learning Point: Jimminy Cricket the learning doesn't stop!  I just learned that the FICO algorithms are as unpredictable as the rankings on this site.  The % of each of the categories is a guideline, but it's not static and varies for each credit report.  Wow.  More here: http://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score/

Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Learning Point:  I don't have time to read through all of this now, but thanks to a simple suggestion on a different thread to google Why Chat's HIPPA process, my head is exploding (in a good way) as another glass ceiling is being shattered.  I'm excited to learn more about this process and potentially implement it!  I believe this is a must-read for anyone with a medical collection! 

Learning Point: I feel like a freakin' '49er! Gold nuggets are scattered ALL around this board.  Amazed, again, this time to learn about scorecards.  Here's the link: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/SCORECARDS/m-p/4359411#M102215.  If this information is fairly accurate, I'm at "Card 12" level now, however, once I clean my report, there's no reason why I wouldn't be at "Card 1" level, since my report would be clean with a + in the 3 categories.  That's promising!  I wonder how soon after cleaning it I can get it to rise.  Hmmm.  New self-challenge set.

Message 29 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will post a better update soon, but I wanted to celebrate my 100th post with a mini update, at the very least.  We have already started progressing with our goals, which is exciting, and all my scores are solidly in the 600s, finally!! The fact that they still have room for improvement is also very encouraging, so I'm just staying diligent, as I've set a goal for 6 months from now to see some real improvement (fingers crossed!).  I've also done account reviews and improved our banking situations (ie wiped out monthly fees, added special features, such as 10 cent returns per card swipes, free cashiers checks, money order, domestic wires (incoming and outgoing), and even increased our checking and savings to 5% apy accounts (including for our kids, well, they have 5% and 7% accounts now).  So, i'm feeling good, and grateful, for all I've been learning from this site and the rest of google in this past two months.  Thanks all!

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.