Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

late payment posted 15 months after account close

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

late payment posted 15 months after account close

I had a defaulted student loan that I settled 5/3/13. Yesterday I checked my credit monitoring and saw that I the US Department of Education reported a 120 day delinquent payment for 7/14 to my experian report. I opened a dispute with experian, called the dept of education they said they showed my account as being settled and closed and faxed mea copy of my compromise letter. Is there anything else I should be doing to get this issue resolved?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dursty87
Established Contributor

Re: late payment posted 15 months after account close

If you filed a dispute and it isn't fixed you can file a complaint with CFPB.

Message 2 of 4
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a defaulted student loan that I settled 5/3/13. Yesterday I checked my credit monitoring and saw that I the US Department of Education reported a 120 day delinquent payment for 7/14 to my experian report. I opened a dispute with experian, called the dept of education they said they showed my account as being settled and closed and faxed mea copy of my compromise letter. Is there anything else I should be doing to get this issue resolved?

The difficult way: Fax that letter to each CRA showing the late, and wait it out.

The really difficult way: dispute the late with each CRA online, risking them to screw things up more with e-oscar.

The easy way: The OC is the one that reported the late, and CRAs only report what they're told, so have the OC retract the late.

The waiting way: Go the route of the CFPB.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. This couldn't have happened at a more inconvenient time. I was just about to buy a new car then my EX score got bombed. I'm not sure if it reported to the other two yet, guess ill see in a month. Also the copy of my compromise letter I got today didn't have the date that I settled the account listed. Guess I have to call them and request a new letter with the date settled?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.