cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

let sleeping dogs lie or just pay the d#&@ thing?!?!

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

let sleeping dogs lie or just pay the d#&@ thing?!?!

I've read many older posts here involving this.  Seems to be a split decision.  Small medical bill $150, date 2/11, 3 PFDs all rejected.  What do the majority of you think will happen if i PAY it in full.  Score comes up a little.  Nothing.  Will paying on it 'reset' the amount of time it will be on report in future?  I've raised my scores 50 points in the past 4 months, all the credit goes to you all w/ your advice.  I only have 2 collections on CR.  This one and another medical bill for $2000 which is even older (9/08).  I'm now in the 700 club.  It's beautiful up here.  So, what to do, PAY (the smaller one 150$) or let sleeping dogs lie?...............

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: let sleeping dogs lie or just pay the d#&@ thing?!?!

If it is a collection agency, paying it should have no impact on your score unless they have not updated in a while.  If that is the case, it would update to a new date making it appear new and drop your score.

Paying it will not make it stay any longer on your credit report.

Message 2 of 5
jwright343
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  What do you mean by 'if they have not update it in awhile'?  How do you tell if it's been updated?  I imagine that after 3 PFDs, I would have drawn attention to it. 

Message 3 of 5
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@jwright343 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  What do you mean by 'if they have not update it in awhile'?  How do you tell if it's been updated?  I imagine that after 3 PFDs, I would have drawn attention to it. 

It doesn't show the last time they updated this debt on your credit report?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jwright343 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  What do you mean by 'if they have not update it in awhile'?  How do you tell if it's been updated? There should be a status date that says something like date last reported or reported date or date verified if these dates are way back in time and they update to current date after you pay them to FICO it looks like a brand new collection even though it may have been new years ago. On the one from 08 I would just let it drop from your report and make payment arrangements after its off if that is what you want to do. The one from 2011 is still most likely in SOL and you will have to pay it in full. You could also attempt the HIPPA process on it as well.

I imagine that after 3 PFDs, I would have drawn attention to it. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.