Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical bill collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical bill collections

My husband has a medical bill from Feb of this year that just got sent to collections, I believe within the past month or so. it's for $1750. Today he called to see about a payment plan. The person he talked to offered a pay off of $1239, payable in two installments. he came home for us to discuss it. 

My questions are: 

1. It hasn't hit his credit report. If we pay it before it shows up, does that mean it will not be reported at all? 

2. We are debating holding off until just under two weeks from now, when we have the money in our account, calling and offering them $900 or $1000. 

Are we better off taking the $1200 now and paying the two payments? 

We are scared to chance waiting, because we would rather it not hit his credit. Any suggestions? 

thank you!! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: medical bill collections

Yes, a debt collector can legally report their collection at any time, including after you pay the debt.  If they had legitimate collection authority at any time, they are entitled to report a collection.  Debt collectors are not likely to first report after you pay the debt, but are not legally precluded from doing so.

You can negotiate terms for either payment of the debt or credit reporting.

You can, for example, make them an offer that includes both agreement to settle for less than the full debt, and their agreement not to report a collection to any of the CRAs,

If they accept, you then have a valid contract that includes both terms.

Of course, you can include only one or the other.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.