Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collection effect on score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical collection effect on score

I had a $25 medical collection that is 1 year old. The collection agency would not PFD. I paid it in full 1 month ago and sent a GW letter that was ignored. It did update on my credit report to "current closed". My Experian and equifax FAKO scores jumped significantly. My question is if I can expect the same result on my FICO score when I apply for a mortgage this week?

Are medical accounts that go into collections scored differently than a credit card or loan that had late payments? I ask this because I used the FICO score estimator and one of the questions asked if I had any late payments on any credit cards or loans. This question has a significant impact on my FICO score. Can I answer no to this question with the medical collection on my CR?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: medical collection effect on score

@Anonymous wrote:
I had a $25 medical collection that is 1 year old. The collection agency would not PFD. I paid it in full 1 month ago and sent a GW letter that was ignored. It did update on my credit report to "current closed". My Experian and equifax FAKO scores jumped significantly. My question is if I can expect the same result on my FICO score when I apply for a mortgage this week?

Are medical accounts that go into collections scored differently than a credit card or loan that had late payments? I ask this because I used the FICO score estimator and one of the questions asked if I had any late payments on any credit cards or loans. This question has a significant impact on my FICO score. Can I answer no to this question with the medical collection on my CR?

FICO wouldn't move on the zeroed-out balance CA alone.

Are you using a FICO score estimator that's available to you after pulling a FICO report?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used the FICO score estimator (Powered by MyFICO) on Bankrate.com

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/credit-score-fico-calculator.aspx

Message 3 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately there isn't any correlation from FAKO scores to FICO scores, sometimes they move in opposite directions.   The only way you would get a FICO score boost would be if the collection is removed from your credit reports.

However the newest FICO score model ( FICO08 ) ignores nusiance collections under $100, so it wouldn't be scored in the FICO08 model.    We can't purchase this score model though, and it isn't in widespread use by creditors yet.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ordered my Equifax FICO score; it did not improve like my FAKO score did, meaning my middle score is probably in the 620's (how disappointing). My TU FICO 3 weeks ago was 670 (the CA never reported to TU). Ahh well, I guess it's round 2 of GW letters...
Message 5 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah I know it's disappointing that you don't get FICO® points for paying a collection...... Keep the GW letters going and hopefully they'll delete it...
Message 6 of 11
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

I feel your pain jmcmanna!!! I have 3 medical collections (all below $200) that I PIF thinking they would delete them from my CR....they're still on there reporting as "Closed. Paid in full" But I want them GONE Smiley Happy I'm gonna GW the heck outta the CA until they either delete the collections or get a restraining order against me Smiley Wink (joking!!!!)
Message 7 of 11
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I used the FICO score estimator (Powered by MyFICO) on Bankrate.com

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/credit-score-fico-calculator.aspx

Was curious and used the Estimator.  It gave me range of 635 to 685 which is pretty much spot on.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
wreith
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately there isn't any correlation from FAKO scores to FICO scores, sometimes they move in opposite directions.   The only way you would get a FICO score boost would be if the collection is removed from your credit reports.

However the newest FICO score model ( FICO08 ) ignores nusiance collections under $100, so it wouldn't be scored in the FICO08 model.    We can't purchase this score model though, and it isn't in widespread use by creditors yet.

So if I just paid a CA for a medical bill that was $75, it really doesn't have any effect on my FICO score cause it's a "nuisance collection"?  I am planning on Goodwilling them to death on it as soon as I can get the contact info I need for proper routing.

01/06/2015 Walmart TU 726
01/06/2015MyFico EQ 705
01/10/2014 USAA FAKO EX 728, EQ 728, TU 728
Discover It $1700, USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $11K, USAA Rewards Platinum MC $12K, CareCredit $13.2K, Chase Freedom $5000, Walmart $4500, Lowes $9800, QVC $1200, HSN $2350, Macys Red Star Store $2900, Paypal smart connect $4022, VS Angelcard $1200, Amazon Store $2500, BCE $4K, Sam's Club Discover $8500, Home Depot $7200, FNBO AMEX $7800
Message 9 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@wreith wrote:

However the newest FICO score model ( FICO08 ) ignores nuisance collections under $100, so it wouldn't be scored in the FICO08 model.    We can't purchase this score model though, and it isn't in widespread use by creditors yet.

So if I just paid a CA for a medical bill that was $75, it really doesn't have any effect on my FICO score cause it's a "nuisance collection"?  I am planning on Goodwilling them to death on it as soon as I can get the contact info I need for proper routing.

Only the most recent FICO 08 version.   Any other FICO version ( 98, 04 ) will ding your score for the collection, either as unpaid or paid.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.