Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collection gone?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical collection gone?

I have been recently taking an interest in my credit and actually learning whats on it and how im going to build it. Before about a month ago I had never even looked at my credit reports grew up not knowing anything about cc's parents never had them neither did I.

Anyways I had a medical debt that was turned over to collections on my TU report only. It was about 6.5 years old. before a month ago I didnt even know it was there had forgotten about it ive moved a few times since i had the ER visit so havent seen anything about it. Got an email from CK about a change and apparently it is gone from my report.

The balance was $607 I have an old TU report from sept 16th says Apr 4, 2011 was the open date of it(via EX monitoring for TU)

Should i expect this to come back? From my research I expected it to fall off at the 7 year mark(correct me if that is wrong). I havent contacted this creditor/collection agency at all.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: medical collection gone?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been recently taking an interest in my credit and actually learning whats on it and how im going to build it. Before about a month ago I had never even looked at my credit reports grew up not knowing anything about cc's parents never had them neither did I.

Anyways I had a medical debt that was turned over to collections on my TU report only. It was about 6.5 years old. before a month ago I didnt even know it was there had forgotten about it ive moved a few times since i had the ER visit so havent seen anything about it. Got an email from CK about a change and apparently it is gone from my report.

The balance was $607 I have an old TU report from sept 16th says Apr 4, 2011 was the open date of it(via EX monitoring for TU)

Should i expect this to come back? From my research I expected it to fall off at the 7 year mark(correct me if that is wrong). I havent contacted this creditor/collection agency at all.

TU could be just updating their system, seen how old it was and just went ahead and removed it.. If its gone with its age i dont see it poping back up However if it does just ask TU to exclude the debt early sence its within the 6 months of the due date to drop & then you wont need to worry about it anymore.

~ Shawn

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: medical collection gone?

A collection, paid or unpaid, must be excluded from your credit report by the CRA no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The CRAs regularly grant their own early exclusion at approx 7 years, and once excluded, it is marked in their files as excluded, and their system is therafter not reviewing the collection.  It is highly unlikely to be subject to any review that would ovecome the exclusion.

Even if, for some reason, they were to review their prior early exclusion and reinsert the excluded collection, it is still subject to mandatory exclusion no later than the limit under section 605(c) of 7 years plus 180 days.  They are not likely to reinsert, and thus create more work by thereafter having to exclude no later than the mandated statutory limit.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.