cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collections question- can collection agency keep it on report if PIF??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical collections question- can collection agency keep it on report if PIF??

Hi, My husband has 3 accounts with one colleciton agency. Two of the larger balance we are trying to find out if his ins was ever billed but there is one for $47 Id lke to pay. They said they would remove all 3 if all paid. I am not paying over $500 until I know the ins was billed so if I pay the 47$ can they keep reporting? They are a real pain to work with and I just see them trying to keep it on the credit even if we pay. Not even sure if paying one will help his credit.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: medical collections question- can collection agency keep it on report if PIF??

Paying of the debt does not require deletion of the reported collection under any provision of the FCRA or FDCPA.

The debt collector need only close the collection and update the balance remaining under collection to $0.

There is , however, a special situation for medical debts that are paid by a medical insuror.

It is not statutory or regulatory, but rather stemmed from a consent deree in March, 2015 between the three major CRAs and the NY state Office of the Attorney General.

The CRAs agreed to deletion collections if the debt is subsequently paid by medical insurance.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: medical collections question- can collection agency keep it on report if PIF??

My suggestion would be to contact the insurance company and ask them to you an EOB for the dates of service.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.