Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

medical collections

Hello,

I've never posted but have been reading these boards for a long time. My husband and I went through some hard times about 8 years ago, and had tons of collections and C/O's. This whole mess was do to him losing his job. Anyway, we waited years for things to drop off or go away, had to set up payment plans with a few, but now these are all old. We do ok, financially, but are on a budget.

About 2 years ago, my son broke his finger and had to have surgery, then I gave birth to our daughter a couple of months later. We have insurance, but still managed to accrue about $4000 in medical debt. I kept putting off calling the hospital to set something up, and these ended up in collections. I thought they were all mine, but 1 of the 8 ended up on my husbands CR. 3 of them are small office visit charges that were never billed to us, and would have been paid at the time of the visit. I tried a PFD, and they said they don't do that. I also tried to settle and they came back with a $3700 settlement, not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but way more than we have. Then I got a letter from a lawyer threatening a lawsuit unless I disputed. So I sent a DVL, and they sent back the breakdown of what we were charged for, but nothing with our signature on it. I've tried calling the hospital a couple of times, and got the run around, and eventually they told me I have to work with the CA. I guess I'm just wondering what to do now. Send a letter to the hospital? If I just send money to the hospital will they accept it?  Try to renegotiate a settlement? Again I know it's not a ton of money to a lot of people, but when you live paycheck to paycheck, it seems impossible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: medical collections

I should also say that in the past year we have gotten 3 credit cards, and had been improving our scores before this medical situation happened. Also, we have been in our home for three and a half years, and our landlord is planning to sell in 2015. We need to be able to qualify for a mortgage by the time he wants us out. As far as I know, our scores are in the low 600's. Thanks again.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I've never posted but have been reading these boards for a long time. My husband and I went through some hard times about 8 years ago, and had tons of collections and C/O's. This whole mess was do to him losing his job. Anyway, we waited years for things to drop off or go away, had to set up payment plans with a few, but now these are all old. We do ok, financially, but are on a budget.

About 2 years ago, my son broke his finger and had to have surgery, then I gave birth to our daughter a couple of months later. We have insurance, but still managed to accrue about $4000 in medical debt. I kept putting off calling the hospital to set something up, and these ended up in collections. I thought they were all mine, but 1 of the 8 ended up on my husbands CR. 3 of them are small office visit charges that were never billed to us, and would have been paid at the time of the visit. I tried a PFD, and they said they don't do that. I also tried to settle and they came back with a $3700 settlement, not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but way more than we have. Then I got a letter from a lawyer threatening a lawsuit unless I disputed. So I sent a DVL, and they sent back the breakdown of what we were charged for, but nothing with our signature on it. I've tried calling the hospital a couple of times, and got the run around, and eventually they told me I have to work with the CA. I guess I'm just wondering what to do now. Send a letter to the hospital? If I just send money to the hospital will they accept it?  Try to renegotiate a settlement? Again I know it's not a ton of money to a lot of people, but when you live paycheck to paycheck, it seems impossible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

You might go here for advice about being threatened with a lawsuit. Making such threats could violate FDCPA in certain circumstances.

Message 3 of 4
Blessed221
Regular Contributor

I have a question from you experts, this is the deal I had a medical collection not on my credit report from dec 2013 I sent the collection agency a validation letter a week ago this morning I received an alert this morning where it was put on my credit report. So I contacted them and requested a PDR they said they couldn't give me that in wring but I stated the information they provided to me was against HIPPA violation because they have medical information. They claim they were working on the doctors behalf so it was ok to have my information since I requested it. Help with any information please.(anybody) thanks in advance..

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.