Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

midland settlement?

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

midland settlement?

My husband has an old Verizon wireless bill with midland for $806 due to stop reporting 3/2014. We are trying to get his credit fixed to have a home built in a community that only deals with USDA loans. There are two collections falling off this year, which I told them about and they said to pay off the two collections that will remain and we should get approved for the direct loan. We can't afford to pay the full $806, so I was thinking about calling and telling them I have $200. What are the chances they'll accept that as settlement ? Especially since it's so old, and will fall off in a year.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: midland settlement?

Many people including myself has dealt with Midland. Start around 20% settlement offer and see what they say. Good Luck.

Message 2 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Ok great! I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with them. I'd rather email them then call, do they have email contacts to ask for a settlement?
Message 3 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 4 of 9
xcaliber
Established Member

I had a collection with Midland and I suggest you call. They were very friendly with me and I have no complaints about their service. In fact, the collection posted as paid within 30 days.

Message 5 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Wonder if they'd agree to remove it since it's gonna fall off in a year anyway...
Message 6 of 9
xcaliber
Established Member

I tried to get them to remove it, but came up short on that one. If you were going to pay in full I would say maybe, but for a settlement I wouldn't think so. When I called to settle I had two years of W2"s (showing a 20K decrease in salary) and a foreclosure that I could fax to prove hardship and they still wouldn't budge. Don't let me discourage you though. You never know until you ask.

Message 7 of 9
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@xcaliber wrote:

I tried to get them to remove it, but came up short on that one. If you were going to pay in full I would say maybe, but for a settlement I wouldn't think so. When I called to settle I had two years of W2"s (showing a 20K decrease in salary) and a foreclosure that I could fax to prove hardship and they still wouldn't budge. Don't let me discourage you though. You never know until you ask.

They wouldn't give you a settlement? They've offered one to him before for like $300 something (orig. balance is $806) but the thing of it is, it's actually his dads acct, they have the same name, and lived at the same address at the time the acct was opened. I just made a post about this, there have been SEVERAL items of his dads that have shown up on his CR that were his dads, so we want it gone, but don't want to pay a lot cause it's not really even his!! Plus its due to fall off next year, so they can either take a settlement, or get nothing because it will be gone next yr and the home loan we are trying to get won't look back at collections that have fallen off his CR. 

Message 8 of 9
xcaliber
Established Member

They settled with me, but they wouldn't do a PFD. I feel your husband's pain. My dad and I have the same name.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.