Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new car or wait??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

new car or wait??

Plan on applying for a home loan in 6 - 8 months my peoples say its ok long as I dont let them run 10 inquirys also the new car will be cheaper then the 1 I have now so I can lower my dti any suggestions
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new car or wait??

Yes, get a pre-approval from a CU, or your local bank, instead of letting the dealer arrange the financing.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a plan @norm thanks
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sedond the getting approved first and do not listen when the dealer says they can finance you for cheaper. Lesson learned when I did that and got hit with 9 inquires and no cheaper rate :/ 

Message 4 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Plan on applying for a home loan in 6 - 8 months my peoples say its ok long as I dont let them run 10 inquirys also the new car will be cheaper then the 1 I have now so I can lower my dti any suggestions

May I ask what terms are involved? Will it be a 36 or 48 month note? 60? Even longer?

Message 5 of 11
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I just got my DW another vehicle.  Just becareful that you dont hurt your debt to income ratio by getting a car.   And they are right get approval from a CU before you go and dont let the dealer do anything as car as the lending goes.  Best bet is, if you dont have to get one right now, dont.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prob a 60 term , um its not that important just tryna beat a lop sided situation
Message 7 of 11
superdad
Regular Contributor

I think your looking at this wrong.  Adding a car loan to your credit profile will RAISE your debit to income ratio.  Look at it this way,  lets say you can afford 1200/month home loan,  you take out a car loan for 300/month.  You just droped what you can afford for a monthly morgage by 300.  So instead of 1200/month you now can only afford 900/month. That could be the different of a 150k to 140k loan.

Alot of people will buy a home FIRST then before the ink dries they run out and get a new car.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@superdad wrote:

I think your looking at this wrong.  Adding a car loan to your credit profile will RAISE your debit to income ratio.  Look at it this way,  lets say you can afford 1200/month home loan,  you take out a car loan for 300/month.  You just droped what you can afford for a monthly morgage by 300.  So instead of 1200/month you now can only afford 900/month. That could be the different of a 150k to 140k loan.

Alot of people will buy a home FIRST then before the ink dries they run out and get a new car.

I think you're missing that the OP said they already have a car, but they want a less expensive one, I.E., they are going to trade down. That should actually improve their Debt to Income ratio.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Prob a 60 term , um its not that important just tryna beat a lop sided situation

Just don't let the dealer screw you over on the trade in value. Get online estimates as well as a couple of 'real' estimates before going to the dealer. When I traded mine in a couple months back, the dealer offered me HALF the KBB estimated trade-in value. They gave me 3500 on the trade in, and two days later it was listed their site for 12K...

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.