Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new collection

tag
tinkytoo
Regular Contributor

new collection

Hi everyone it's been awhile since I been here I had made some lead way with my credit. Now I have a proble, I received a score watch alert a collection popped up on my report.  I moved 6 months ago I assumed my gas and electric balance from my old place was placed on my new bill because the second month after I moved in my bill was double the amount.  I set my self up on a payment plan with the company.  Well unbeknownst to me I had a past due amount that the electric company closed out. I never received anything stating I had a separate past due bill. Today I received a letter from a collection company called Henley and associates inc. In the letter it says this account has been reported to the credit bureau nationally. My question is can they do this I thought they had to send a letter and give me 30 to respond. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
growing123
Regular Contributor

Re: new collection

@tinkytoo wrote:

Hi everyone it's been awhile since I been here I had made some lead way with my credit. Now I have a proble, I received a score watch alert a collection popped up on my report.  I moved 6 months ago I assumed my gas and electric balance from my old place was placed on my new bill because the second month after I moved in my bill was double the amount.  I set my self up on a payment plan with the company.  Well unbeknownst to me I had a past due amount that the electric company closed out. I never received anything stating I had a separate past due bill. Today I received a letter from a collection company called Henley and associates inc. In the letter it says this account has been reported to the credit bureau nationally. My question is can they do this I thought they had to send a letter and give me 30 to respond. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. 

Sounds like that is your letter and you now have 30 days to respond to the CA, or they will consider the debt valid.  The OC does not have to notify you that they're sending something to collections. 

I would send them a DV and/or contact the OC to see why it went to collections.  Maybe they still own the debt and can pull it back from the CA.  

Good luck!

Starting Scores - Mid 500s - 10/2013

EX 706 (FICO 9/15) | EQ 710 (FICO 9/15) | TU 716 (FICO 9/15)

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 2 of 8
tinkytoo
Regular Contributor

new collection

So they can put the collection on my credit report then send me a letter saying they did this.  I thought I had 30 to respond to there letter before they send it to the credit bureaus

Message 3 of 8
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

They didn't send you a Dunning notice, that is illegal. They didn't give you prior warning that they would be in the process of reporting to the CRA. I'm pretty sure that's a violation.

Personally I would call your utility company ask about the inflated cost from your prior bills when you moved. See if the bills were from your last residence and new put together. If they are, have this break down sent to you either fax or mail. 

Ask them to call back any collections that have been put against you as it was THEIR ERROR. 

Hopefully that will help you. I'm no expert but any information helps I suppose.

Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 8
growing123
Regular Contributor

They do not have to warn you that they're going to report to CRA. But once they report, they have five days to send you dunning notice.

Quicksilver $12.8K | Freedom $1.5k | Discover It $11.5k | VS $1.2k | AMEX BCE $10k | Fidelity AMEX $10k | US Cash+ $9k | Citi DC $6.6k
Message 5 of 8
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

In this backwards country, yeah they probably wouldn't but they would sell you a house that you can't afford and tell you OH WELL SUCKER! Update us on the situation when you can.

Note: They should tell you that, what the hell! If your gonna go around, uining people's chances at things at life, then yeah THEY SHOULD TELL YOU, THEIR GOING TO REPORT YOUR SOMETIMES AS MEASLY AS $25 BALANCE TO THE CREDIT BUREAU....

I SHOULD START A PETITION FOR LEGALISATION RIGHT NOW!.. I'm mad I want ice cream.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 6 of 8
growing123
Regular Contributor

I'll take some rocky road. Lol.

Message 7 of 8
tinkytoo
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone I will be contacting some one on Monday I have so much going on that I got sidetracked but starting Monday I will make calls. . I hope all goes well
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.