Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new employers/credit pull

tag
focused1914
Regular Contributor

new employers/credit pull

I just applied for a new career and part of my app was a background check... Im very worried because of my score, and I was out of work for a year and my bills got behind,   I have started rebuilding..... but what score did you think is good enough???     for the past year or so I havent paid anything late, and I have paid some things off??   any advice will be helpful.    Thx in advance

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new employers/credit pull

I don't think they'll look at your score, or even pay to have access to it. I'm an employer and we recently started credit checks after we started working within some government facilities and we we're asked to do these checks. The primary goal is to look for established credit. We couldn't care less about the score. We are looking to make sure the applicant has a credit history and to make sure they didn't arrive in the US yesterday for nefarious purposes, if you know what I mean. We also have banks as clients and they'll ask us to do checks to look at the employee's financial history to see if he/she would have motive to steal, but a bad score isn't always indicative of that motive.

Message 2 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@focused1914 wrote:

I just applied for a new career and part of my app was a background check... Im very worried because of my score, and I was out of work for a year and my bills got behind,   I have started rebuilding..... but what score did you think is good enough???     for the past year or so I havent paid anything late, and I have paid some things off??   any advice will be helpful.    Thx in advance

I doubt that your employer is looking for a specific score, so much as they are looking for recent red flags on your CR.    It sounds like you have gotten things under control and that you have good payment history within the last year which is good.

Are you in a financial services industry, like banking, or similar ?  If not then I don't think that you should be too concerned.   And if you are questioned just be upfront about losing your job, and explain that you are rebuilding.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 15
focused1914
Regular Contributor

Im going into medical sales......   I had to check and sign a section about laws under the FCA(fair credit act).... so I was somewhat concerned when I looking over the fine print...The way i read things it looks like they will pull my report(s).     I have my fico score from here and have check on credit karma..... but when I lost my job me and my family took a big hit on scores and patterns of payments.      but last two year have been pretty good

Message 4 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I think you'll be fine.   And just be upfront & honest if they ask you any questions.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 15
focused1914
Regular Contributor

ok.. thx for the advice

Message 6 of 15
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

For my company, we check for 2 things... current lates (90 days+) , collections or judgements and a liens. And past  bd patters over the last year... you sound like you should be good!! :-)

Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 15
TBOY012
Valued Member

My job pulled a report on me and I didnt know (Im sure I saw a disclosure but didnt pay attention) At the time, I had 2-3 collections, Capitol One transfered to their

in-house collection and had several other accts showing multiple lates. Also had to do a criminal background check, and thank god the CR didnt affect me in getting

my job.

Message 8 of 15
focused1914
Regular Contributor

Well I have no judgements or liens..... I havent been late on anything for a while...   and I paid off my bad debts that were on my files..

Message 9 of 15
focused1914
Regular Contributor

Wow congrads on getting the job..... just got nervous when I saw that on my app.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.