Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new guy need Help with Judgment

tag
vrhunter

new guy need Help with Judgment

Hello-

I've been lurking around the site for awhile. I have found so much valuable information on here. Unfortunately I still need some help with a judgement issue. I first disputed this with all three CRA's all came back with 'updated' / validated. The status on the judgement is showing N/A I'm trying to 1) have them validate the debt I need to know who the original creditor was. Also I think this was a wage garnishment back in 2007 that was satisfied. I don't know what I need to do next or who to contact. This thing is weighing my score down a fair amount and really just need it updated, corrected, or gone. Appreciate any and all advice

Victor

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: new guy need Help with Judgment

Bumping for others...

It wouldn't be for a garnishment but would be for a judgment. The CRAs or courts, or whomever you sent a letter to doesn't have to validate. The CRAs do have to verify or delete if disputed which had been done already. Since it was verified, contact the court and get info, and you can then figure out the plaintiff and the attorney's info. Some had success in paying it and asking the plaintiff's attorney to ask the court to vacate it and in turn asking them to delete.

Message 2 of 8
vrhunter

Thanks for the info. I will contact the court house next week and see what I can find out.

Message 3 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Many districts are online now. Just go to the clerk of courts for your county and do a search on the public records for your name. Amy and all public records should appear. if you can get the entire record, you may have to go to the courthouse but that is usually for older records.

If you do have a judgment you are looking to make sure it is either 1) recorded as Satisfied (if paid) and if it's not paid than see what your county requires to get it vacated. i suspect it may be too old to vacate, but its worth trying.

Message 4 of 8
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I had my judgment vacated and was signed by the judge last week. TU and EX have deleted, just waiting on EQ to get in the game.

I contacted the attorney. I think I had a nice guy though, I looked him up on the web and emailed him. Played into his likes (razorbacks, fishing, etc.) it was listed online under his profile I found.

We chatted for about a week and he filed the motion for me free of charge and mailed me the letter signed by the judge Smiley Happy

good luck!!!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 5 of 8
vrhunter

Good morning everyone! I took some time this weekend and with some extensive searching I was able to track down the original credit and the attorney etc for this judgments from 2007. I made some phone calls this morning and verified the judgment was settled in 2007. The attorney will be mailing a letter out today to the court house for a judge to sign, and then will mail me a satisfaction of judgment letter. They said from there I need to take it back to court house to be recorded ( not sure I understand this part, but will figure it out). So Good news so far. Next question is, with this showing 'Satisfied' should I expect a boost in my score, or is there more I need to do? Is it possible to get it completely removed?

Appreciate everyone's help.

Message 6 of 8
vrhunter

Forgot to add. I'm wondering about 'vacating this judgement' because I don't remember ever being served, but unsure how to find out if I was or not. This period of time was difficult in my life. I had just returned ( based on date on CR) from my 2nd tour in the sand, and was trying to put life back together. I really find it hard to believe if I was served I would've let it go without a fight. just not sure if the effort is worth it or not.

Message 7 of 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@vrhunter wrote:

Forgot to add. I'm wondering about 'vacating this judgement' because I don't remember ever being served, but unsure how to find out if I was or not. This period of time was difficult in my life. I had just returned ( based on date on CR) from my 2nd tour in the sand, and was trying to put life back together. I really find it hard to believe if I was served I would've let it go without a fight. just not sure if the effort is worth it or not.

Satisfied and unsatisifed impact FICO scoring the same. The advantage to 'satisified' is for underwriting reasons for loans or a mortgage.

There are lots of ways to serve, depending on the jurisdiction. I attempted to vacate something and found out I was considered served because they attempted to reach me at home, couldn't and put an add in the want ads of the local paper.. haha you need to look into your jurisdiction..

Some courts, like in Illinois, will vacate a judgment after you satisify it. So there are options. If not, the attorney you contacted my do it, if you offer to cover their court costs. Well worth it for removing a judgment.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.