Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to credit - multiple questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: new to credit - multiple questions

Thanks for the laughs everyone! I'll definitely take a good look at what everyone said. Basically this month, store card and discover card $0 no balance, but with capital one ($200 limit) have a balance of $18 and then revolve to next card and so on. I'll also look at those 11 tips and the Alliant SSL. Thank you for taking the time to help me out guys I really appreciate it! I'll be gardening for the next 1-2years so we'll see what happens!

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the laughs everyone! I'll definitely take a good look at what everyone said. Basically this month, store card and discover card $0 no balance, but with capital one ($200 limit) have a balance of $18 and then revolve to next card and so on. I'll also look at those 11 tips and the Alliant SSL. Thank you for taking the time to help me out guys I really appreciate it! I'll be gardening for the next 1-2years so we'll see what happens!

CLOSE.

Not 9% on Capital One, but 8.9% or less.  I know it sounds good but it's true.  $18 is too high, $17.8 is just right.  I'd say $17 to be safe.  And not less than $3 because some banks will "waive" $1 or $2 in balance (free money) but then report $0.  So for that card, report $3-$17 at statement cut.  Then pay that balance off AFTER statement cut but BEFORE the next due date to avoid interest.  The let a new $3-$17 report at the next statement.

Also, no need to garden for 2 years.  After 6-12 months you can add a 4th card if you like.  Go for Chase, Citibank or BoA if you like any of them.  I like Chase best so you start a relationship with them.  After another 6 months, add a 5th card.

This way, all your accounts age together which thickens your profile.  As it thickens, you'll get higher starting limits, lower APR, and more approvals when you WANT them instead of desperately when you NEED them.  Teach yourself to never NEED credit, just WANT it to maximize cash back and perks!

By the time you graduate college, you should be in stellar shape (800 FICO scores).

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh gotcha! thank you for the clarification! Glad to hear, Chase will probably be my go to since I have a checking and savings with them already. Thank you!

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ahh gotcha! thank you for the clarification! Glad to hear, Chase will probably be my go to since I have a checking and savings with them already. Thank you!

Next time you log into Chase (desktop website), click the "three horizontal lines" button at the top left after logging in.  A sidebar will push out from the left.  Scroll down to "Your offers" and see if there is a green checkmark there.  Click "Your offers" and it will show you offers.  If any of those show a green checkmark, that is a SOLID preapproval for that card.

With Chase, getting those offers is a GOOD thing but of course don't abuse it.  Getting a Freedom card or Freedom Unlimited would be a FANTASTIC card now so you can show them responsible usage.  Many of us want Chase's premier Sapphire Reserve card but they've got restrictions on it.  So get in good with Chase when they let you, and then in the future you'll be golden.

Message 14 of 15
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Keep up the good work. I'm with these guys, I wish I would have been educated at 18 and gardened a bit back then. You could really be financially solid by 21-23. Like said before make sure you use CCs as debit, not worth getting into any trouble. Don't live like most 18-25 year olds and you'll be in way better shape for investing, savings and retirement.

Keep up the good work!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.