Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbe here. need help with judgement on credit . trying to buy a house

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

newbe here. need help with judgement on credit . trying to buy a house

I HAVE A JUDGEMENT ON MY CREDIT FOR A CREDIT CARD DEBT THAT I COULD NOT PAY. IT IS FOR $11,000. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO HANDLE THIS. I REALLY WANT TO SETTLE THIS SO I CAN GET MY CREDIT SCORES BACK UP. THEY HAVE NOT MOVED UP IN YEAR, I FEEL DUE TO THIS. ALSO WHAT IS THE FASTEST WAY TO GET YOUR SCORE UP. I ALSO HAVE ABOUT TEN OTHER VERY SMALL BAD DEBTS ON MY CREDIT FOR A TOTAL OF 2000. EVERY THING IS ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD. I AM WANTING TO BY A NEW HOME AND A CAR SO I NEED TO FIX THIS. PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: newbe here. need help with judgement on credit . trying to buy a house

Hi castano, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, the bad news is that a civil judgment remains on your credit report for 7 years from the date of the judgment, pursuant to FCRA 605(a)(2).  The only way to get this off of your CR is by asking the creditor to motion the court to vacate the judgment.  That is up to creditor and the court.  A very tough task, particularly if the full judgment has not yet been satisfied.  How much of the judgment have you discharged to date?

I dont know what your other "bad debts" are, but the various provisions of FCRA 605(a)(1-5) also provide for their normal inclusion for at least 7 years from the date of first delinquency on the account.

If these debts are legit, the only way to get them off of your CR is to ask for the creditor to exercise their disretionary "good will," and request that the CRA delete them.   However, unless you have paid off any remaining debt, your chances of getting them to delete from your CR are almost nil.

In this tight credit market, I would only speculate that unless you can first discharge each of these debts, and then get some creditors to delete from your CR, they will be with you for the full 7 years from DOFD or judgment.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was the date filed on the judgment? Can you PIF? Can you pay a signficant part of it?

On the other debts, who is reporting-- OC or CA?

What is the DOFD? Are they beyond SOL? Can you PIF?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

This is my first time responding on here.  But last month I recently had  3 judgments removed from my credit report.  Ultimately, it is up to the creditor to have it vacated.

Best of luck,

JDomonique

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called the FTC, and they told me that a judgement can only stay on your credit report for 7 years from DOFD, not the date of filing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.