Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie looking for advice...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

newbie looking for advice...

Ok so my husband and I thought we would take advantage of the "low" real estate market and trade up our house. We have a smaller home, and with 4 kids and the great prices. BUTTTT- Our Mortgage guy pulled the credit and ummmm well, our score was 470 for him, 473 for me. WOW, and I don't mean that in a good way. Now I have a copy of the report, and I have searched all over this site, but its all foriegn to me.
Here are a few fact that I can see of the top- any helpful ideas or suggestions apprciated.
1. This is an equifax report.
2. We did file ch 7 bank in 1999 - This is still showing up
3. It says that the number of inquires is adverly affecting credit score, but this is the 1st inquiry we have made.
4. Our van payment has been late, but never more than 30 days.
5. Our mortgage has been late
6. There are a lot of medical bill showing up that I have no Idea what they are for.
7. There is an open account that I have no idea who it is, but it does show balance of zero.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: newbie looking for advice...

mom24girls wrote:
Ok so my husband and I thought we would take advantage of the "low" real estate market and trade up our house. We have a smaller home, and with 4 kids and the great prices. BUTTTT- Our Mortgage guy pulled the credit and ummmm well, our score was 470 for him, 473 for me. WOW, and I don't mean that in a good way. Now I have a copy of the report, and I have searched all over this site, but its all foriegn to me.
Here are a few fact that I can see of the top- any helpful ideas or suggestions apprciated.
1. This is an equifax report.

I suggest you go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull all 3 reports and compare them. The first thing is to highlight any mistakes(accounts showing balances that are paid, accounts that aren't yours, etc)

2. We did file ch 7 bank in 1999 - This is still showing up

Bankruptcy: Chapters 7, 11, and 12 remain for 10 years from the filing date. Chapter 13 remains seven years from the filing date. Accounts included in bankruptcy will remain seven years from the date they were reported as included in the bankruptcy.
CRTP -

3. It says that the number of inquires is adverly affecting credit score, but this is the 1st inquiry we have made.

Where does it say the number of inquiries is affecting your score? Is there only 1 inquiry showing? When you pull your free reports, look on them.

There will be two types inquiries, what are referred to here as hard and soft. They'll have them listed on your reports in 2 different sections, one is inquiries that are seen by all who get your report and affect your score(hard inquiries), the other section is inquiries seen only by you and have no affect on your score(soft inquiries).

The soft inquiries are account review inquiries(where an exisiting creditor reviews your credit periodically, promotional inquiries(those "pre approved" offers you get, etc)

Hard inquiries are from companies that have permission (as defined in FCRA), such as when you apply for new credit.

4. Our van payment has been late, but never more than 30 days.

Is it showing late on your report? Only if it is showing late on your report does it affect your score. If it is, you can try writing GW letters to have the lates removed.

5. Our mortgage has been late

How long ago and how severe are the lates? Single 30 day lates have almost nil affect after 2 years. You can try GW letters to have them removed.

6. There are a lot of medical bill showing up that I have no Idea what they are for.

Does it show who the original creditor is? What is DOFD, DOLA, and SOL? You'll find these dates on your free reports. Also, it may say "this account scheduled to remain until XXXX"

7. There is an open account that I have no idea who it is, but it does show balance of zero.
Is it listed under collections, installment, revolving? Does it list a creditor or original creditor. List a DOFD, DOLA or when it is scheduled to remain?

I'd read the following threads -

Freq Requested Threads -

SOL-

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to add, NEVER, EVER be late on any payments again.  Your scores will gradually improve, by paying all your bills on time.  Over time.

The other thing, is don't max out your credit cards.  Pay them down to zero as soon as you can.

It is a good idea, if you don't have it already...to setup an emergency fund.  Save up $500 or $1,000 for lifes little emergencies.  A car breakdown, a car accident (the EF would cover your deductible)  Your kids get sick, etc.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.
I did pull our own credit last night. We refinanced our current home in Feb 2007, There are several inquiries into our credit at that time, so I assume that these are when we were shopping the loan.
Other than that I will be digging deeper the next week or so, and then YES all bills will be paid on time. Wow, I never realized that this affected your credit so bad. I mean I knew that if you got foreclosed on or something yes, but I didn't realize that the lates were so negativily affecting.

May I ask, time wise, how many points about do you get added monthly for paying everything on time?
Thank you.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

mom24girls wrote:
Thank you.
I did pull our own credit last night. We refinanced our current home in Feb 2007, There are several inquiries into our credit at that time, so I assume that these are when we were shopping the loan.
Other than that I will be digging deeper the next week or so, and then YES all bills will be paid on time. Wow, I never realized that this affected your credit so bad. I mean I knew that if you got foreclosed on or something yes, but I didn't realize that the lates were so negativily affecting.

May I ask, time wise, how many points about do you get added monthly for paying everything on time?
Thank you.

Mortgage inquiries that are within a certain time frame are all counted as 1 inquiry by the FICO scoring model.

Inquiries over 1 year old have nil affect on score, they are removed at 2 years.

As to how many points each month, that varies by each person depending on their overall credit report.

You can run the score simulator on this website and get a good estimate.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please forgove my ignorence, but where is the score simulator- I can not seem to find it.
Thank you
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.