Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

next step...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

next step...

Hello all,

Like most here I am trying to build/repair my credit and I am seeking guidance.  Last January I was approved for a Amex Zync card with 500 limit and autopay feature.  I have used it and paid ontime every month since then in order to build a history with Amex.  The $500 spending limit greatly restricts my use for the card since I have quite a few monthly travel expenses that can easily exceed that amount.  I have called 3 times thoughout last year to have the limit raised only to be told my account is automatically reviewed periodically and a manual "request for limit increase" is not possible with this type of card.  After waiting over a year, today I called again and was told the limit could not be raised.  After explaining my situation I was told I should apply for another Amex product by the representative.  Essentially it was hinted that the limit on this type of Zync will never be raised.  After some discussion I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday card today and was denied(reasons are to be mailed and would not be disclosed today.)  I asked them what their recommendation was at this point since their current Zync product was really not suiting my needs and was basically transferred a few times and given generac answers until I was more or less pushed off the call.  Apparently I'm not the ideal candidate for Amex and will not be anytime soon.  

My credit history-

~55k in student loans (original balance 70k)

~13 left on a car loan (orginal balance 19k) 

Amex Zync Card since 2/11

One 30 day late 5 years ago from a Capitol One credit card I foolishly closed on my own

EX FAKO 677

EQ FICO- 707

TU FICO- 692

No other debts/derogatories or credit lines/cards etc...

3 inquiries on my Ex (one from the car loan, one from a storage rental, and one from Amex for the Zync card, all over a year old)

Income bracket- 75-100k/yr

At this point what recommendations do you guys have? (besides the obvious of waiting and paying my bills ontime, which I have been doing for 5 years and plan to continue to do)

Should I open some type of credit card since technically a Zync is a charge card and not considered revolving credit?  If so, what kind would I have a better chance at being accepted?  (I'm interested in cash back style of cards more so than other rewards programs)

Are my loan balances too high for my installment loans?  Do I need to wait and pay them down before appyling for a card?  My student loan debt is divided over 5 separate loans, does this hurt me or not matter?

I'm kind of stuck at this point and getting a bit depressed over the whole credit situation after the denial.  Any constructive advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: next step...

Oh, I forgot to add- AAoA is 4 years

If anyone has any other questions or if I forgot any info please don't hesitate to ask

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: next step...

The installment loans balances are not a major issue.  FICO scoring does not place heavy emphasis on balance of installment loans.

For future building, FICO does place heavy emphasis on revolving credit.  With no accounts now reporting as revolving, you do need at least one and preferably two revolving for future building.

I would suggest getting a low CL major bank card, even if secured.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.