Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no cc pay cash

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

no cc pay cash

Hi, new at this.  Have appreciated all the posts.  Got in a CC debt bind about 8 years ago so have no open accounts now, been paying cash for everything.  Scores are real low due to slow pay on everything but mortgage.  Installment loans are all within 6 months of being paid off.  Working on CR errors, any insight?  Once errors are corrected, maybe send GW letters and hope to get a CC or two.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: no cc pay cash

jar1154 wrote:
Hi, new at this.  Have appreciated all the posts.  Got in a CC debt bind about 8 years ago so have no open accounts now, been paying cash for everything.  Scores are real low due to slow pay on everything but mortgage.  Installment loans are all within 6 months of being paid off.  Working on CR errors, any insight?  Once errors are corrected, maybe send GW letters and hope to get a CC or two.

I was in the same boat as you when I started repair last August. DW and I had gone 6-7 yrs with cash only, other than our two car loans. You will see a significant score increase by adding about 3 CCs, with one of the three being a store charge card.

Repair now. Get any CA removed. Tip toe around any COs or even lates on closed accounts, as the OC may opt to remove them which could hurt your history and your score. If at all applicable anyway. GW any lates on any open accounts anyway.

Pull your CRs, each of them from this site. Use your FICO scores to compare yourself to others via sites like whogavemecredit.com. When ready to get a CC, selectively apply using your strongest score. That first CC will be hard to get. Once you get that first one, let it report to all 3, then go for a second, then the last one. All my scores bumped about 40-50 points just by adding the first 3, as it improved the mix of credit.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use this thread from the frequently requested thread....go down to the *how credit is calculated*

CCs are good for FICO scores
Message 3 of 5
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Definitely get a CC! If your scores are low, get a BofA secured. I was approved with the scores below. You can try applying for a regular BofA card and you may luck out and get offered the 99/500 card. You put down $99 and they give you a $500 CL.
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx for input.  I'll ck the site.  Waiting on two pastdue payments to be posted and 2 CA that has med claim that ins did not pay and have now and will pull new reports.  Took over a month to get med coll info settled.  Can I ask OC for a PFD with balance of what ins didn't pay? 

Being new I signed up on 2 different sites for monthly CRs and each is different.  This whole process is overwhelming and time consuming.  Definitely teaching me patience.  Wanted to get scores up B4 applying.  I did find a site that tells you what scores they want apps to have.

DH has better score.  Should I have him apply and get added as AU.  I'm hearing that's not a factor? 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.