Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no notice or contact from CA but shows on Report

tag
dave36021
Regular Contributor

no notice or contact from CA but shows on Report

Hi All, 

I have a CA Vance & Huffman LLC showing up on my report. I have not been contacted by them at all, no request for payment no dunning notice nothing at all. 

They are only on Experian and the report monthly as a collection. I am trying to figure out the best way to approach this. I was going to send a DV to them and inform them that they are in violation of FDCPA 809(a)  for not contacting me about the CRS reporting.  

Should I just skip the DV and go straight to FTC,BBB or CFPB and file complaints against them for do both DV and file a complaint?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Back In the Garden since 6/5/2016

My Fico Scores: EQ:639 EX:665 TU:651

AU: Comenity/Bealls FL 930; Capital One 300 ;
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: no notice or contact from CA but shows on Report

Is it a debt you recognize? Or is it either someone elses debt or potential ID theft? Different answers require going down different paths.

Message 2 of 11
dave36021
Regular Contributor

I do recognize it -- it is from a old Credit One Bank card that they sold and Credit One is reporting as sold 

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You can start with the DV but its not going to be timely and they may not respond, since you know its yours I would not take the adversarial stance that a DV may produce and go directly to the PFD offer with the CA.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Adding: My statement of the DV not being timely would only apply if this has been on your reports for awhile and is not a new collection.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How old is the debt? If it's many years old, there's a good chance it's outside the statue of limitations (time-barred). That should be factored into one's decision on whether to contact an OC / CA, and how to go about it.

Message 5 of 11
dave36021
Regular Contributor

Just checked and the original card DOFD is 1/2010 so it is past the SOL. and it looks like this is the second company that is was sold to 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So a collection agency can just put it on your credit report without  ever contacting you?? I thought they were supposed to notify you first. 

Message 7 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So a collection agency can just put it on your credit report without  ever contacting you?? I thought they were supposed to notify you first. 

They are required to send you a dunning notice within 5 days of the first contact.  Since you have not received a dunning notice, I would believe that any DV by you would be timely.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are supposed to notify you 'within 5 days of placing it on you reports'.  However, if you have changed addresses in the intervening time, a notice may have been sent to an old address.

Message 9 of 11
dave36021
Regular Contributor

We have been at this address for 4 years and they did a SP on the report to get the correct address. I have to look at my reports and find the Has the SP so I can see exactly when they did it

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.