Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not sure what steps to take

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

not sure what steps to take

i have been really reckless with my credit over the years. i have been working on paying down all of my debt on open/active accounts in the last 2 months and have gotten it pretty much paid down but my scores still suck. I know I can try to gw for some of my lates on my better standing accounts and see what happens, but this account w/HSBC is frustrating me. I have them listed twice on my tu report, one in good standing (because one acct was closed due to a stolen card. so they gave me a new acct) and the replacement acct is listed as....

Status as of Oct, 2007

Date opened  Mar, 2000

Date of last activity  May, 2007

Date paid out Not Reported

Date closed Sep, 2007

Account number  XXXXXXXXXXXX

Loan type  Credit Card

Credit limit  $250

Largest past balance $724

Terms  MIN

Account Type  Revolving Account

Account holder  Individual Account

Scheduled payment amount  $71

Descriptions 
  • Canceled by credit grantor

this shows on my tu. but not my eq. this acct was paid off and closed in/around sept/oct 2007. there should be no balance shown. it shows "currently 90 days past due" with a balance of $460. should i dispute w/tu? should i gw HSBC to have this updated? i am afraid if i gw-they will add it to my other 2 reports.

any suggestions? 
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: not sure what steps to take

If no delinquencies occured before being reported lost, it should only report for 2 years from date reported lost.

HSBC is also double reporting on a friend's report and refuses to remove and EX refuses to remove.

I would make a copy of that page of your CR that is showing these two accounts. Black out any other accounts.

Send a copy with a letter to HSBC telling them they are inaccurately reporting the highlighted areas and you disputing directly with the furnisher of the information as FCRA allows. They should investigate the dispute and respond to you with the results within 30 days and update with the CRA immediately if they found they are reporting incorrectly.

Message 13 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW is what you send when they are reporting correctly and you would like to ask them to change something.

If they are reporting incorrectly, then you can dispute.

Is this from a TU report gotten directly from TU?

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh yes, i will gw on a different account not this one. Smiley Happy I did get this off a tu report purchased from myFICO. and the balance on the 2nd listing for this company is incorrect as well as the currently 90 days late status. it is PIF and has been for a year and a half. i just wasnt sure if i should dispute it or go directly to the creditor. it only shows up like this on the one report.
Message Edited by scorechaser on 03-27-2009 03:57 PM
Message 3 of 17
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Do you have proof that you paid in full? or was it a settlement?
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i am actually in the process of trying to search for that information. knowing me, it was all written on a scratch pad as to whom i spoke with when i made the payment over phone, but i am almost sure they sent me a letter as it was a secured card. i let it get way over the limit with fees, so the deposit used to secure it was used to pay the balance and i paid the remaining out of my checking account. i suppose i could request my statement from that time frame to show the electronic deduction from my account.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you click on the "Accounts" tab of your CR, and it list all your accounts. What does it say under "status"?

What does it say under "balance"?

Also, how does this look on a TU report directly from TU? I mean one you got from transunion.com, not anywhere else.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

under accounts it says balance is $460 and 90 days past due. but i did not order this directly from tu. i guess i am confused because i thought the one i got on this site was from tu, just acquired through the middle man in a sense. i suppose i will request a report directly from tu.

sorry, im such a newb Smiley Very Happy i appreciate any input and being set in the correct direction

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The report you pulled is based on information from TU. It is a "report".

If you go to TU's website or the annualcreditreport website, link below, and get your report, it will be your full file.

You always want a report directly from the CRA as sometimes with 3rd party services, the information doesn't always display correctly and is harder to understand.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay, thank you! I will request my reports directly from the CRA's and go from there once i get them.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my report directly from transunion thru annualcreditreport.com this is what is showing up:

Both TL list the exact same account number ( I just deleted out to paste here) and I understand that for whatever reason my "stolen" account should still show up. But the account regardless of which TL was satisfactorily paid off in 2007. Unfortunately I am going to have to seek out bank records to verify payment.  The status of currently 90 days late and a balance on a closed account is hurting my score right? And its not even correct. This only shows up on TU. The other reports do not list any as closed due to theft (and it was reported stolen 2000, these are both showing as opened in 2000) and report a $0 balance and pays as agreed. How can they report differently to the CRA's? I am so freaking lost and confused. I have credit report dysfunction.

HSBC  (1st TL)

Account No.: 5***********  
Condition: Closed (Paid)      

Balance: $0     -

Type: Credit Card    -

Pay Status: Current

Remarks: Credit card lost or stolen        --

Past Due: $0     -

High Balance: $724     -

Terms:

Limit: $300     -

Payment:       -

Opened: 03/02/2000    -

Reported: 01/31/2006    -

Responsibility: Individual    

Late Payments (last 7 years):    days late: 3     days late: 1     days late: 0

HSBC (2nd TL)

Account No.: 5***********-

Condition: Closed    -

Balance: $460     -

Type: Credit Card    -

Pay Status: Late 90 Days

Past Due: $70     -

High Balance: $724     -

Terms:

Limit: $250     -

Payment: $71     -

Opened: 03/02/2000    -

Reported: 10/31/2007    -

Responsibility: Individual    

Late Payments (last 7 years): days late: 1 days late: 1 days late: 0

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.