Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not sure what to do next

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

not sure what to do next

Here is my situation. Last May my husband and I paid off all our debts. In Sept I pulled our report and found that one wasn't completely paid and they had marked us as late. I called immediately and got the amount paid and have since sent a goodwill letter to see if they would remove it. I got a letter back saying they don't remove any if the debt is valid. Do I continue to send letters or is there another route that I need to take. We are trying to get a mortgage through the va and this is really hurting us
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: not sure what to do next

Many furnishers have a standard policy of not deleting reporting based on payment of the debt.  That is not an arbitrary policy on their part, as it is written policy of the CRAs, clearly stated in their credit reporting manual and incorporated into their reporting agreements, that furnishers should not report deletion based on payment of a debt.

So underlings are often bound by that standard policy statement.  Just sending a GW to their general mailroom address thus may often be summarily dismissed by the underling under their standard policy.

Many have success by finding the name of a management official to direct their good-will requests, as management sets policy, and thus has discretion to grant exceptions.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.