Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old 2011 city citation debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

old 2011 city citation debt

I rec'd a letter from a law firm requesting payment on an old outstanding city citation. I do remember seeing this same letter a few years ago and honestly, I just ignored it. It never showed up on my CR, but now that I'm trying to rebuild Im scared it might show up. Has anyone ever had an old city citatio show up on their CR? Are they allowed to do that?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: old 2011 city citation debt

A ticket/fine in and of itself will never appear on your credit.

However, many cities/counties will eventually sell these unpaid tickets/fines to a collection agency, and that collection agency then has the right to report its collection on your credit.  These are bound by similar statute-of-limitation regulations as regular (credit card) debts.  In rare cases, there can even be judgments issued for nonpayment of tickets/fines which can worm their way into a person's public records section, but that is highly unusual in most states.

Unpaid tickets/fines can also affect things like driver's license renewals, vehicle registration renewals, and other things that are not part of your credit file but still can be a painn in the rear to deal with.  Some types can result in bench warrants, seized vehicles, and other headaches too, depending on the original violation and the code in your municipality.

If it was mine, I'd just figure out how to pay it and get it to go away before it has any chance to get to another level.  It won't suddenly appear on your credit, and you won't have to be worried about it while you deal with your rebuild - that's enough stress for one person to deal with.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Per the recent agreement (Jan 2015) between the CRAs and the AGs of several states, collections based on no contract or agreement executed by the consumer are not included in consumer credit reports.  Fines and violations are typical examples.

Message 3 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Per the recent agreement (Jan 2015) between the CRAs and the AGs of several states, collections based on no contract or agreement executed by the consumer are not included in consumer credit reports.  Fines and violations are typical examples.

+1 it should be removed from your credit reports.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not to hijack this thread but is Illinois part of this agreement? I ask because I've had 3 unload tickets appear on my TU report. I paid 2 and they were removed within 30 days of payment receipt
Message 5 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

These changes effect everyone regardless of where they reside.
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.