Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old bill

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

old bill

I recently checked my credit report and noticed that I have two mglw utility bills I. Collection on my credit. One of them is mine,but the other one is my wife bill that she had  a couple years before we were married. The state we are in is tn. Can mlgw legally put this on my credit even though this was prior to our marriage and my name nor my information is on her old utility bill. Can they legally make me responsible for this or can I dispute this and try to get it removed

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: old bill

Is it collection agency reporting? If yes then send DV letter. Later I would dispute. If doesn't help then file CFPB complaint.
Did you try contacting them and explaining ?
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I called and they told me that since we were married...

Yes I called and they told me that since we were married and we both filed bankruptcy its my debt too. Is that true

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Yes I called and they told me that since we were married...

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes I called and they told me that since we were married and we both filed bankruptcy its my debt too. Is that true

That makes no sense at all. I think the CSR was either blowing smoke or in over their head.

They  can't just add debt to your credit report in a non-community property state from before you were married because you are married now. What matters is who incurred the debt and the date it was incurred, not the fact that you are married to someone that defaulted on their bill.

Plus, if the debt is discharged it should read iib and zero balance.

The tradeline needs to be removed from your credit report.  Call your attorney that filed the BK and let him handle it. If he won't handle it, then find a consumer attorney to handle it.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.