cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old debt not sent to collections for 4 years?

tag
rwt
New Contributor

old debt not sent to collections for 4 years?

So in 2004 I had a student loan, quit school and never made payment. I returned 4 years ago to finish my degree. Those old loans i jad added to my current.This sept I started rebuilding my credit and pulled my report. I thought the negatives would have fallen off being so old. No they are still there so I called and they said it wasn't sent to collection until 2008. Has this happened to anyone or could this be wrong? I've been kicking butt on rebuilding and this is a bummer. Any help or advice would be great.

Seedling:

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: 595
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: old debt not sent to collections for 4 years?

The CA still has to report the Date of First Delinquency from the original creditor. they've reaged the account it looks like. Shouldn't have been able to load that on your CR.
Message 2 of 11
rwt
New Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
The CA still has to report the Date of First Delinquency from the original creditor. they've reaged the account it looks like. Shouldn't have been able to load that on your CR.

Anything I can do?  

Seedling:

Message 3 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

If they added it to your other loans seems like it would show current if youre paying on time. is this what they've done?
Message 4 of 11
rwt
New Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
If they added it to your other loans seems like it would show current if youre paying on time. is this what they've done?

The New Loans ARE Through Another company, This Say OK AND Pay As agreed. But the old one shows late payments and says paid after it went to collection.

Seedling:

Message 5 of 11
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Oh i see. you paid it then they reported it paid? Am i getting that right? Either way they still have to report the original DoFD which frim what you've said should be either 04 or 05. Shoulda fell off in 2011 or 12. If I'm reading it right. do you still have any of the paperwork?
Message 6 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It doesn't matter when they sent it to collections.  As stated, the first time your were delinquent and never brought the account current before the collections, determines when it will be removed from your CR.

Message 7 of 11
rwt
New Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
Oh i see. you paid it then they reported it paid? Am i getting that right? Either way they still have to report the original DoFD which frim what you've said should be either 04 or 05. Shoulda fell off in 2011 or 12. If I'm reading it right. do you still have any of the paperwork?
From the original Loan? no...From the original loan? no... All I have is current credit reports and they say they are supposed t be removed on 3/2015 both of them. I opened the loans on 3/1/04
Seedling:

Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you opened the loans in 3/2004 and never made a payment, 3/04 would be the DoFD. 

They should have been removed between 3/2011 and 9/2011.

Message 9 of 11
LadyLeah
Contributor

But no matter when you open the loan, you're not required to start paying them back until 6 mos after you drop out or finish school, so wouldn't the DOFD be 6 mos (or 7 mos?) after dropping out?

Do they count the DOFD from the time you signed the loan?

If that's the case, none of my loans should even be on my CR at all. They were all 15 yrs ago lol. Idk. The whole student loan thing confuses me terribly. I have so many student loan tradelines and quite a few of them overlap (from being sold). It's very hard to read/understand.

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.