Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one account reported 2 times

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

one account reported 2 times

Back in 2010 I had a secured cared with Public Savings. It is being reported as a collection from then. Capital Bank then bought the credit account and they proceeded to report it as a collection account also although it is updated to paid collections.

My question is doesn't this effect my credit score since its reported 2 times? Also why cant Public Savings just come off since they sold the account or cant it be combined with Capital Bank? Does the credit scoring algorithms know that this is in fact one account since the account numbers are identical?

Is it possible to have one of the accounts not report?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: one account reported 2 times

I would dispute this. My wife had something similar last year and I disputed it the old collection was removed.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The orginal account will remain on your credit report but the balance should be a zero if they sold it to a collection agency.  Both will remain on your

credit report till they age off.  You can try PDF with the collection agency or after payment send goodwill letters to see if they will delete.

If the orginal account still has a balance you can dispute that with the CB.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Public Savings was original account. It was bought by Capital Bank. Capital shows zero balance because I paid it years ago. Public Savings shows transferred.
GW public savings maybe?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So does the orginal account also have a zero balance?  If so you can actually send goodwill letters to both.  

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they both do
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you can try to send goodwill emails/letters for both.  

Good Luck!  

Message 7 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt was delinquent when purhased by Capital Bank, then Capital Bank is a debt collector.

Public Savings must then update to $0 balance, and they are finished with reporting.  Their reporting as the OC remains, along with any derogs they reported.

If you then paid, the debt collector must update to $0 and close their collection.

Both reportings remain, one as the OC, and the second as the debt collector.

That is not double reporting as they are separate activities.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a few of these. Both are from Appartments I lived in a few years back when I went through a financial struggle. Both of the appartment debts have been sold to debt collectors. One is garnishing my wages from my paycheck now. My concern is that the amounts showing are not the same and are showing twice for the same debt. Example: One shows a balance of 1,800 and the other 2,500 for the same appartment complex under the same debt collector. Can I dispute this or is it legal for them to put 2 amounts for the same debt on my credit report?

Message 9 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

You might want to.start with asking them to validate the debt total. Also, do you know what the total should be, includjng any added fees?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.