cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

original creditor cannot verify debt collection agency will not remove.

tag
2jazzy

original creditor cannot verify debt collection agency will not remove.

I recently noted a collection item for an apartment I gave proper notice to vacate. The property managenent that owned the property cannot verify the debt nor have any records showing I owe anything. I recieved an email from the COO stating such. What options do I have to get this listing removed. The collection agency is currently refusing to remove the listing.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: original creditor cannot verify debt collection agency will not remove.

Have you filed a direct dispute with the CA?  Or how about getting a letter from the OC stating that you don't owe any money and sending it to the CA with an ITS letter.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
2jazzy

Thanks for responding. I have submitted the letter to experian and they have still not removed stating the orginal creditor cannot verify debt if it is with a collection agency. Since this is an apartment debt i didn't know if that was true or not. As you can see im at a lost
Message 3 of 6
DaBears
Senior Contributor

It can take up to 90 days for removal

Message 4 of 6
2jazzy

Thanks for responding. I have been going through this since January. Hopefully this will be resolved soon
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My question would be, how did the debt collector obtain collection authority on the asserted debt?

If the OC never sold the debt or contracted with a debt collector, then the debt collector would have no standing to contact you.

Can you get a statement frrom the OC that they never sold  a debt to the debt collector, or entered into any assignment of collection authority to them?

Hopefully, they would have records if they had done so.......

When the debt collector sent dunning notice, they must have provided statement of the current owner of the debt.

Are you still within 30 days of their dunning notice, and thus can send a tiimely DV?  That would at least require them to cease collection activities until they can obtain verification from the OC.  From what was stated, they may be unable to do so.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.