Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out of blue, received CA letter. DV?

tag
peepers
Frequent Contributor

out of blue, received CA letter. DV?

the letter is from CCA (Credit Collection Services), on behalf of Capital One/Kohls Department Stores for $500. I assume this is a "dunning" notice? I believe this is a valid debt. The DOFD was in 2007 and past my states SOL. The OC account (Kohls) is gone from my reports. Should I DV, even though I know its valid? Nothing has reported on my reports yet, If I pay them will that prevent that? Or can I pay them, then they turn around and report? Just got my scores up over 700 and want to prevent a collection hitting. Thanks
AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Re: out of blue, received CA letter. DV?

@peepers wrote:
the letter is from CCA (Credit Collection Services), on behalf of Capital One/Kohls Department Stores for $500. I assume this is a "dunning" notice? I believe this is a valid debt. The DOFD was in 2007 and past my states SOL. The OC account (Kohls) is gone from my reports. Should I DV, even though I know its valid? Nothing has reported on my reports yet, If I pay them will that prevent that? Or can I pay them, then they turn around and report? Just got my scores up over 700 and want to prevent a collection hitting. Thanks

A DV is not likely to do much of any thing for you, and no one here will tell you to ask for validation on a debt you know is valid.

If the DoFD was in 2007, they better not try to place it on your report. They legally can ask you to pay the debt though from now until forever.. what they can not do is report it on your credit reports or sue you... well they can sue you, but you can use the SOL as your defense. You can discuss with them paying or settling the debt for their agreement not to report just to keep people from hounding you.. however if they DO report, you should be able to get it back off due to the DOFD.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 2 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@peepers wrote:

A DV is not likely to do much of any thing for you, and no one here will tell you to ask for validation on a debt you know is valid.

If the DoFD was in 2007, they better not try to place it on your report. They legally can ask you to pay the debt though from now until forever.. what they can not do is report it on your credit reports or sue you... well they can sue you, but you can use the SOL as your defense. You can discuss with them paying or settling the debt for their agreement not to report just to keep people from hounding you.. however if they DO report, you should be able to get it back off due to the DOFD.

I don't agree that a DV won't do anything if you know its a valid debt. It places a cease bar on all collection activity until the validate, meaning they can't put it on a report or make efforts to continue collecting unless they repsond to the validation.. secondly, there is a lot of 2014 left for a debt from 2007 to report.. just sayin'

I most definitely would send a DV; if only to force their hand. If they don't respond, they cannot continue to try to collect. They will likely dish it off again.

The other option would be to settle so you don't have it come back again in the future...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 6
peepers
Frequent Contributor

So is what I received, what is referred to as a Dunning notice? or is that something else that will come?
AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 4 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@peepers wrote:
So is what I received, what is referred to as a Dunning notice? or is that something else that will come?

First contact letter: dunning notice.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 5 of 6
peepers
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE..........

First of all thank you for your replies.  Here is what has since transpired

I emailed the COO of company, advising that if I could get email or written confirmation that in exchange for my full payment, they agree to not report to the CRAs.

A Bruce replied advising to call the number on my letter and be asked to be transferred to a Joy , Manager of Administrative Support, who could help me.  Knowing the structure of their emails, I forwarded that email to her.    I was told they cant email about accounts, so I called her.

Long story short, she said "We do not report to the credit reporting agencies.  However we will advise Kohls that the matter has been settled.  Have they shown up on your report?"

The thing is, the Kohls CO disappeared off my reports about 6 months ago.  Early, but still gone.

Now I am wondering that if Kohls catches wind of all of this, they will re-insert.  Ugh 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.