cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid Idaho state tax lien? satisfied judgment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid Idaho state tax lien? satisfied judgment?

I've been trying to deal with the Idaho state tax lien that is on my credit report. It's from my 2011 taxes, so the lien was placed in June, 2012, which means (according to TU) it is due to stay on my credit report until 2022! The amount I owe is only $200 and it just KILLS me that this little issue is going to haunt me for so long! I've called the Idaho secretary of state, and the Idaho state tax commission and pleaded my case, to no avail.

I tried arguing that the federal government would not place a lien for such a small amount, and even if they did, federal tax liens can be removed from the credit report as soon as they're satisfied -- it seems that the states should do the same. Not surprisingly, I didn't get anywhere. The best they told me they can do is send me a letter stating that the lien has been lifted once I pay it, but it will still show on my credit report. Do we think having this lien marked paid will help improve my credit much?

The other big baddie is a judgment that was filed by a CA with my local court in August 2012. It's now paid off and through advice on here, I am now trying to contact the CA's attorney to get it marked "satisfied." I've thought about asking the attorney if the CA would consider vacating the judgment now that it is satisfied, because the only way to get a judgment vacated in this court is by a motion from the plaintiff. Does anyone know anything about getting judgments vacated in this way? It seems like a total longshot. Also, will having the judgment marked "satisfied" have much of an impact on my credit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: paid Idaho state tax lien? satisfied judgment?

Curious...... what jurisdiction requires a motion from the judgment creditor in order for them to consider vacature based on payment of the debt?

The judgment creditor is required to notify the court of satisfaction of the judgment, but I see no reason for requiring their initiation of a motion for vacature on behalf of the other party.

I have seen many posts in another legal forum advising attorneys for a prevailing creditor not to file any motions on behalf of the defendant/consumer on the basis of potential conflict of interest.

Their sole allegiance can be asserted to still reside with their client, the prevailing plaintiff.

It is a curious concept for a state to require the prevailing plaintiff to file for relief for the losing defendant.

Message 2 of 5
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

I have an Idaho state tax judgment on my report too, and to answer your question: yes, having the lien marked "paid" is at least better for the score. Mine was 2009, and with time & positive trade lines my score has gone up quite a bit over time.

It won't stay on ten years, though. Paid liens stay on for seven years, the ten years is only the length of time that unpaid liens can be reported. Pay it off ASAP and just wait it out, that's my advice.
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I live in ID you are not going to get anywhere with the Tax Commission on having that lien withdrawn, the only reason they will do so is if it was filed in error to begin with. To answer your question a paid lien is no better than unpaid to Fico, its a good thing if your report is manually reviewed by an underwriter. I also find it interesting the only way to vacate a judgment is to have the plaintiff fle it, what state is this in?

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.