Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid collection balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid collection balance

Question: I paid a collection to PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOC for a COMENITY / VICTORIA'S SECRET card. The last payment I made was Dec. 2014 and I recieved a letter saying "Thank you for your assistance in resolving this account. Your current balanceon this account is $0.00. Please retain this letter as proof your account has been satisfied." Equifax is showing a Balance and Amount Past Due of $953 for that account. TransUnion shows a $0 balance and says "Account Paid in Full; was
a Collection". Experian lists it as "Paid, Closed."  Would this be a dispute with Equifax??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paid collection balance

Equifax also shows a Balance & Amount Past Due of $139 for a PORTFOLIO RECOVERY ASSOC account that was an OLD NAVY card. I also have the letter of proof from Portfolio for this one dated January 10, 2014 stating that the account has been satisfied.
TransUnion shows a $0 blance and says "Account Paid in Full; was a Collection"

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct.  Dispute with EQ and they could be verify with Portfolio Recovery that the account has been paid and update your file.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid collection balance/ charged off, written off

Also, is there a difference bewteen something being charged off vs written off? Should those numbers be the same??

I noticed different amounts on Experian stating "written off" than Equifax's "Charge Off Amount".   

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They are the same.

A charge-off is an accounting measure that permits the creditor to move a debt owed (receivable asset) over to a debt that they consider to have become uncollectible, thus obtaining a write-off of that amount in their taxes.

The amunt they reported as the amount they charged-off should be the same with each CRA.

You can get it corrected by way of direct dispute with the creditor, but the amount does not affect your scoring.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: paid collection balance/ charged off, written off

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, is there a difference bewteen something being charged off vs written off? Should those numbers be the same??

I noticed different amounts on Experian stating "written off" than Equifax's "Charge Off Amount".   

Is it a signifigant difference or is it just one dollar? A one dollar difference is the result of a rounding error.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian states an SYNCB/AMER EAGLE account as $238 written off.
Equifax states GECRB/AMERICAN EAGLE Charge Off Amount: $105
TransUnion states SYNCB/AMERICAN EAGLE Original ChargeOff: $105

For a SYNCB/BELK account:
Experian Closed. $209 written off.
Equifax Charge Off Amount: $49
TransUnion Original ChargeOff: $49

For a SYNCB/OLD NAVY account:
Experian $258 written off.
Equifax Charge Off Amount: $58
TransUnion Original ChargeOff: $58

So it's a little more than a rounding error. should they be the same $ amounts??

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah... That is kinda odd.... Direct dispute might be in order here.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.