cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paid off defaulted student loans, how to delete these records?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paid off defaulted student loans, how to delete these records?

I had a number of private student loans that I defaulted on way back. (No judgement)
Over the past 6 months I paid them all off without taking any settlements, which was a huge feat of making the 20k in payments so quickly.
Most are now showing on my credit report as a zero balance, and some haven't posted to the beaureaus yet.
My question is this: how do remove these negative lines from my report. I've been using lexington law to remove the incorrect things on my report. I understand that these forums take a more diy approach, but to make the money to pay back the debt I work ungodly hours 7 days a week.
Lexington law has a number of options to choose from. Item verify, not mine, never late. Now that these are paid off i am hoping the creditor doesn't take the time to verify somethjng that is already paid.
What is my best option to do? Lexington law or otherwise. I don't want to make the wrong move.
Thanks for any advice.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: paid off defaulted student loans, how to delete these records?

About your only recourse here is goodwill letters. If you would have stopped by sooner we would of informed you of the rehabilitation program. It consisted of making 10 on time monthly payments and all negatives would have been removed and it would of looked like good loans since the day opened. Also I would check into Lexington Law. They are a phony. I will find and post the link from a Lexington Law worker explaining how they operate.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Read this. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/DO-NOT-USE-LEXINGTON-LAW-FIRM/m-p/3277310/hig...
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I did read about goodwill letters. I should have spent more time with that approach.
Now that they are paid off, what is my best approach for removal?
Message 4 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Goodwill letters is your only option for this one. There are several form letters for them on here if you use the search bar. Just tailor them to your situation and send them off to the creditors Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cartwrna wrote:
Goodwill letters is your only option for this one. There are several form letters for them on here if you use the search bar. Just tailor them to your situation and send them off to the creditors Smiley Happy

+1

in my experience, the more personal the GW, the better

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Am I able to use a good will letter now that they are paid off?
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Am I able to use a good will letter now that they are paid off?

yes. GWs are used when you no longer have any leverage (such as payment in a PFD). the request would be to remove the negative info in good faith instead

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. That sounds like a plan. What do I do about lexington law. They are still challenging the beaureaus on the paid off student loans. Will this hurt my chances at a gw letter? Thanks for help
Message 9 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

There is a good possibility that it could hurt your chances. They just send the same form letters over and over again on your behalf.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.