Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay before pfd or not

tag
keithc
Regular Contributor

pay before pfd or not

i have a medical coll. from my local hosp. called them and they stated could not pull back the coll. from the ca. called the ca-horizon fin. mgt. and she said for me to pay the$189 but refused to pfd. she said it would show paid in full. no way i agreed to that. will be sending pfd letter. if the ca refuses pfd what is my next step. pay it and do hippa maybe. please help 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: pay before pfd or not

How old is the collection?     And do you know who owns the debt?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 7
keithc
Regular Contributor

the ca owns the debtnow. the oc will not pull it back from the ca. it is from feb. 2012

Message 3 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@keithc wrote:

the ca owns the debtnow. the oc will not pull it back from the ca. it is from feb. 2012

IME with hospital debts, my hospital only assigned the debts to the CA's, none of mind was sold.I guess my hospital is greedy and dont want to take a cut to sell the debts.I understand your situation is different.

I meant to ask..........What was the date of medical services?

The date of medical services is the DoFD (date of first default).

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Well, if they have already rejected a PFD, I presume your letter will meet the same fate.

If so, I agree with other posters.  You must then consider both your options and theirs.

You option of refusing to pay without deletion means you choose to let it sit until its CR exclusion period expires.

Their option is to pull out another gun.... legal action.

Thus, DOFD becomes critical on both fronts.  It will tell you how long you will continue to absorb the score ding until it reaches exclusion date, and it will also tell you when your SOL most likley began to run (dependent on your state SOL statute, of course).

I will leave HIPAA advice to those who advocate that interpretation of statute.

Message 5 of 7
keithc
Regular Contributor

they rejected pfd over the phone. dofd is feb. 2012 sol in sc is 6 yrs. thinking of sending pfd ltr to oc with restricted check. like someone said here, never known a hosp. to turn down money. also, if the hosp accepts will the ca be required to remove from cr's. what about paying it then go thru hipaa process. all help is appreciated.

Message 6 of 7
AshCas
Regular Contributor

If I were you I'd PIF, and then just send lots and lots of GW letters, or do the HIPPA thing. 

If what you say is true that the hospital has actually sold the debt to a CA - then they can't pull it back, as they dont own the debt anymore.  Most likely they'd just return your check to you.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.