cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pay medical collections or revolving account collections?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

pay medical collections or revolving account collections?

I need to know what I should pay. I have many medical collections and I have an old bill from AT&T and two credit cards that have been charged off as bad debt. Should I pay the medical collections or should I pay the AT&T collection and the 2 credit cards that have been charged off? It seems that I should pay the AT&T and the cc's. I would really like to pay all of my debts. They add up to $4,000 (including the medical bills). Also would it be smart to take out a personal loan from my bank to pay everything in collections? I really need some advice. Thank!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: pay medical collections or revolving account collections?

Taking out a personal loan will cost alot in interest. My bank charges 17%, thats just making your debt even larger.

The money you pay in interest, could be paying down your debts.

How old are your collections?  Also do you know your states SOL?

SOL is the legal time limit a creditor can take  you to court and win.

If it were me, I would pay the debt that are within SOL.

You can do this, I came back from much worst. You are doing a good thing to start now, before your total amount grew much higher.Smiley Wink

Knowledge is power. Live below your means and you never have to worry about debt again.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The two cc's were closed in 2006. The AT&T was reported a few months ago. I know the SOL in my state is 5 years for cc's. The medical bills are from 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Message 3 of 9
kcc
Established Member

It is my understanding SOL for  medical bills is 4 years in all states but check it out I'm not positive. Another thing you can do is check to see if CA'S are licensed in your state especially if you have changed states. If they are not licensed in your state they can't collect and you can file a complaint with your state if they contact you, at least that's how it works in my state.

Message 4 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The two cc's were closed in 2006. The AT&T was reported a few months ago. I know the SOL in my state is 5 years for cc's. The medical bills are from 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

The DoFD is an important date to know, because it's the starting date, for your States SOL.

The DoFD is also used to calculate when an item will be removed from a CR.

I would start with the medical CA's and the CA that has the AT&T debt, because they are within SOL

If the DoFD is 2006 with the closed CC's, I would deal with them last because they are probably Passed SOL.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

@kcc wrote:

It is my understanding SOL for  medical bills is 4 years in all states but check it out I'm not positive. Another thing you can do is check to see if CA'S are licensed in your state especially if you have changed states. If they are not licensed in your state they can't collect and you can file a complaint with your state if they contact you, at least that's how it works in my state.

You are wise to question a SOL of 4yrs for medical debts.Some of these other credit forums spread incorrect information. I live in Tn and I know no such law about 4yr medical SOL,here in this state. If would be nice to know the source of this information.

That's why I love this site,Smiley Tongue you can ask were they found the info and they will tell you it's in the FDCPA,FCRA ,FACTA or the laws in your state.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice! We are wanting to buy a home and I didn't know if we would be made to pay off the cc's. Thank you!

Message 7 of 9
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

It will be up to the lender on whether or not, they will ask you to pay off the old CC debt.

The CC debt is passed SOL, so I would guess they will not ask you to pay it,but I'm only guessing.

Buying a home is the biggest purchase you will ever make, so take you time and know what you want and don't want in a home.

Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund.

A emergency fund is very helpful in those emergencies,helping by not turning to a CC with interest or getting a loan. But if you use the fund, always replenish it, I put money in every month. It's the best advise my mother (now a retired reality broker) ever told me.Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have been very helpful! Thank you so much!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.