Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying a judement "need advice"

tag
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

paying a judement "need advice"

I was needing some advice since alot of you are really smart with this stuffSmiley Happy Im planning on paying of a judement on my credit report and contacted the ca today about paying on it. they told me that I needed to show that I had some sort of income in order to setup and payment schedule. I told them I was getting unemployment of $124 and they said that I needed to send them my last 3 stubbs for that. Im going to call them tomorrow and ask that they send me an agreement that they will take it off my cr or put paid in full. I haven't made any arrangements to start paying yet because I wanted some opinions on if there just gonna try to garnish my unemployment if I provide them more info on my unemployment. Im drawing it from oregon state and the collections is from washington state. I never told them I was getting it from oregon. I just don't want to get screwed over here and need some advice. I know when ,If I do end up sending them money what would be the best way to cover my a**. thanks for all the help on hereSmiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: paying a judement "need advice"

@wanttobeinthe700club wrote:
I was needing some advice since alot of you are really smart with this stuffSmiley Happy Im planning on paying of a judement on my credit report and contacted the ca today about paying on it. they told me that I needed to show that I had some sort of income in order to setup and payment schedule. I told them I was getting unemployment of $124 and they said that I needed to send them my last 3 stubbs for that. Im going to call them tomorrow and ask that they send me an agreement that they will take it off my cr or put paid in full. I haven't made any arrangements to start paying yet because I wanted some opinions on if there just gonna try to garnish my unemployment if I provide them more info on my unemployment. Im drawing it from oregon state and the collections is from washington state. I never told them I was getting it from oregon. I just don't want to get screwed over here and need some advice. I know when ,If I do end up sending them money what would be the best way to cover my a**. thanks for all the help on hereSmiley Happy

I would not send any money to the ca and would certainly not send the ca any paystub or any banking info. You need to contact the court the judgment was issued and ask about paying it off directly through the court by paying the court you will have documented proof the judgment was paid. This will probably stay on your cr but will look better as a paid judgment during a manual review. Getting a judgment off a cr is about as easy as parting the sea.
Message 2 of 8
happy0510
Established Contributor

DO NOT send them your paystubs!! They absolutely don't need those in anyway when making payment arrangements!! You can set up a payment plan directly and don't default on the payments.  I'm not sure about your judgment debt, but mine does not accrue interest when set up on a payment plan.  They are only asking for your info so they can garnish.  No other reason.  Trust me. Don't trust them!!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

thanks you guys for the info, the only thing I told them was that I get unemployment but nothing more. I live in a different state though and only getting it until the end of the month until I start my new job. they know where I live though because my address is on all the CRA. I really do appreciate this so much. I will not setup anything with them then and not deal with them anymore. I will call the courts in that state and make some arrangements. I like the parting the sea thing lol. again you have been a big helpSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 8
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

ok i called the court and they told me that I had to deal with the collection agency and not them. Im kinda stumped here. it was filed back in 2003 so im not sure if its because of that or not. the credit agency they send it to they send all there deliquent stuff to. well I guess I have no choice but to deal with the credit agencySmiley Sad any advice on how to deal with the agency so I don't get screwed will be appreciated. anyone else ever have the courts say that they wont except payment on a judement?
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wanttobeinthe700club wrote:

That's the oldest trick in the book verifying that you have income they can go after, unemployment checks are considered income in all 50 states. The only funds exempt from garnishment are Soc Sec funds.

They are trying to go after the little money you do have coming in so they can get whatever they can, while they can. Don't send a CA anything especially paystubs they don't need that to work out an agreement. ScumbagsSmiley Mad

Send a Cease & Desist letter to them and pay the original creditor if you are going to pay. Good Luck

KingSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would back up a second.  You have a court judgment.  What did that judgment specify as to the creditor's rights?  Did it establish any terms for payment?  The court order controls, and you have comply with it.

The creditor cannot set payment conditions not specified in the order of judgment.  What was agreed upon, or directed, in court?

I agree with prior posts.  The creditor cannot demand showings of income, etc., not directed by the court.

Message 7 of 8
wanttobeinthe700club
New Contributor

ok so ive been looking on the web and realized something that was brought to my attention. i was never served  back in 2003 to appear in court and didn't even know i had a judgement against for like 3 years later. so i called a lawyer about it and they told me that they can most likely get an order to vacate judgement from looking at my court records which i dont even have and court papers on my judgement and the court is telling me i have to go through the collection agency to get them which the laywer said is b.s. so im hoping that everything goes great since i have the best lawyer on that in this area that i can have it removed and move on with my credit life Smiley Happy will keep updating as things progress.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.