Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paying off loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

paying off loans

will paying off my student loan help raise my credit score, or should i continue to pay it monthly?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DI
Super Contributor

Re: paying off loans

@Anonymous wrote:
will paying off my student loan help raise my credit score, or should i continue to pay it monthly?

Hi, Welcome to the forum.  If the student loans are in good standing they have already benefited your FICO scores(credit mix).  At this point utilizing revolving credit(credit cards) and paying them in full monthly will only raise your scores. 

Message 2 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

If you have the funds to pay off any debt in my opinion you should. Never stay in debt just for a possible few FICO points. Your first priority should always be working towards being debt free. 

Just my 2 cents.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

marinevietvet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

If you have the funds to pay off any debt in my opinion you should. Never stay in debt just for a possible few FICO points. Your first priority should always be working towards being debt free. 

Just my 2 cents.

+1
Message 4 of 6
marty56
Super Contributor

+2.  Also don't be FICO score poor when it comes to using credit either.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the interest rate on your school loans? That would be the key decision point for me.

Many people think there are valid reasons to keep paying on your school loans if they are at VERY low interest rates...

*You could invest or save what you normally would spend in extra payments (Do you have an emergency fund, for example? Could it mean that you could put more money into your retirement funds or 401k for long-term growth? Are you maxed out in your retirement contributions? Have you contributed the max to your ROTH if you qualify?)

*Tax deduction for interest...could this deduction make a difference in tax bracket for you?

*If you work for a nonprofit (or some other entities), the remaining balance of your school loans can be forgiven after 10 years

*If you die, your balances due die with you

Paying off your school loan debt will not likely raise your FICO scores, and there are many aspects to consider.

If being debt-free is important to you, that's an important aspect.

Bottom line is that there is no one right answer for everyone.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.