Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

proper card use ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

proper card use ?

so my question is i have 3 cards im aware that i pay them all off except 1 and let that one show less then a 10% balnce, but do i have to actually use all the cards ever month or can i simply rotate the card that i use ea month? we got in a lot of cc debit about 10 yrs ago and was a bitch to get out, i just want to make sure that im able to follow this guideline ea month 

since september i started @ 555 went down to 500 while i was paying a getting things all settled and now back up to 612, and want to keep going up, that is why im asking, i have 2, 60 day lates that are over 2 yrs old damn first premier wont budge, i have no other collections on my account .....

this forum is great learnt so much...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: proper card use ?

You dont want the cards to remain inactive for six months or more.

Using each every couple of months should be fine.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't plan on not using them just planned on using only 1 per month let it's report then fully pay off and move to next card for a month and repeat
Message 3 of 8
gizmotchy
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Didn't plan on not using them just planned on using only 1 per month let it's report then fully pay off and move to next card for a month and repeat

In my opinion this is a little confusing to do.  I would honestly put all but one card of your choice (maybe because it's your highest limit, maybe because it's got good rewards) into a drawer, and simply carry a single "daily driver".  Thing is, if a card sits idle for too long, they *will* cancel it for inactivity.  So, maybe for these, simply put a small auto-payment on it (maybe your subscription to MyFICO, maybe a cell phone bill, whatever) and pay it off regularly.  Or, just remember to pull them out every 2 or 3 months and use em for a tank of gas or something.

Beginning Scores 5/10/2014: EX 604, EQ 587, TU 658 Current 11/9/2015: EQ 665 TU 665 (FAKO) EX 659 (FAKO)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is pretty much exactly what i planned on doing 

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you don't want to rotate them each month, just pick you 'favorite' and let it report a balance each month. The others you want to make sure they get used every few months, and just pay the balance before their statement closes.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was understanding that ea month a different card hard to report a balance while the others where paid off, if not the nonreporting card would be considered dormant that month
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I was understanding that ea month a different card hard to report a balance while the others where paid off, if not the nonreporting card would be considered dormant that month

No. That is a credit myth.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.