Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about Open Sky SC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: question about Open Sky SC

Its not unpaid collection accounts that wreck your UTI%, its charged off revolving accounts reporting a balance.

But when you're score is being seriously hurt by collections and other derogs, it seems like theres not a lot of points to be gained with UTI% once you're in the "good" range. I gained about 30 points going from over 90% UTI to under 10%, but I've not seen any change by varying my balances below that point. I even had my new Barclays card report 48% UTI on its first statement (I had no idea the first statement was going to close so quickly) but my scores changed very little, maybe a 2 point drop. We'll see if I get a bounce from paying that down next month.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a lot of charged off revolving accounts too. 8 I think. I'm so mad at myself. I filed chapter 7 BK in 2003, started rebuilding a couple years later, was getting approved for a lot of credit cards (crappy sub prime cards) and I was paying on all of them really well every month and was on my way to having good credit again, then went through a separation and I had to walk away from all those accounts. A year of good payment history down the crapper. I'm a lot more educated now tho. Now that I think about it, having all those accounts probly dropped my score a lot because almost all the cards were maxed out every month. I just thought if I paid on time every month, it was helping my credit. Had no idea about utilization and sticking with 3 cards, etc. My BK came off in 2013. If I had kept all those accts current and then when the BK fell off, I'd be in a much better credit position now. Live and learn I suppose.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I do have a lot of charged off revolving accounts too. 8 I think. I'm so mad at myself. I filed chapter 7 BK in 2003, started rebuilding a couple years later, was getting approved for a lot of credit cards (crappy sub prime cards) and I was paying on all of them really well every month and was on my way to having good credit again, then went through a separation and I had to walk away from all those accounts. A year of good payment history down the crapper. I'm a lot more educated now tho. Now that I think about it, having all those accounts probly dropped my score a lot because almost all the cards were maxed out every month. I just thought if I paid on time every month, it was helping my credit. Had no idea about utilization and sticking with 3 cards, etc. My BK came off in 2013. If I had kept all those accts current and then when the BK fell off, I'd be in a much better credit position now. Live and learn I suppose.

Yeah, get those settled to report a zero balance to get some score luv for UTI. Like I said, I got about 30 points from getting my UTI under control. Luckily I have no revolving charge offs.

Message 13 of 18
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

How long did it take Open Sky to report to CB after approval or account set up? Thinking I might go that route too, just wondering if they are quick to report or drag their feet :/

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

They reported shortly after I activated the card. Didn't even give me time to pay the 29$ fee first. Lol
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Sky does not graduate. I would however, use it as it will help you build credit history and score. Not activating it definitely defeats the purpose. I got an Open Sky card before I got  any other cards. It definitely open the doors and I was able to get Cap One QS1 and Platinum within just a few months of opening the card. And those cards opened the door to others like AMEX Green, Discover it, Cap One Venture.....

Message 16 of 18
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

did the card arrive quickly? Im trying to compare them with Merrick Bank.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

To be more specific, I applied for the card sometime at the end of March. It took a couple of weeks to get to me. I received it on 4-17. I got a Myfico alert on 5-2 that they reported. I applied for my cap one cards after the open sky and received them first but it took them longer to report. They may have by now, I think my 2nd statement has cut on one card and the other will cut on the 17th. I don't get myfico alerts anymore since I've now cancelled it so I have no way of knowing.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.