Frequent Contributor
peepers

question about an old, unpaid CO

It is outside of SOL (over a year since that passed) and set to fall report in a couple months.  The CA that owns it now (which is set to fall off Dec) has never attempted to collect *knock on wood*.  Its the only one I havent pd in full after charge off, settled, etc. from my 2006-2007 rough patch.

My question is, even after its off reports I realize mortgage lenders can pull a more in depth report and see it was there once.  If its outside SOL and no-longer at risk of being sued, can  a lender still require me to pay it first?  If so am I better to do that now?  Settle for like 20-30% and be done with it?  We are looking to mortgage shop early 2013.

Thanks!

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $10,000 | Amex BCP $6,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Cap1 $2000 | Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)

10% util on NFCU, 25% util on Discover, zero on rest, 6% overall. MyFICO: TU 803, EQ 797 EX 798 Discover TU FICO 803. Rebuilt from 500's....gardening until mortgage time

guiness56

Re: question about an old, unpaid CO

Yes, any unpaid debt can be required to be paid.  It depends on the lender what their requirements are, like how old the debt is, how much etc.

If you are applying for a mortgage after it is excluded from your CR I would take care of it then so it won't drop your score.  If it hasn't updated in awhile that could happen.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}