Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about good will letter

tag
from500to700
Regular Contributor

question about good will letter

Hello all,
I want to know if I had a charge off account showing 0 balance sold to CA. Can I good will with OC even if I didn't pay the CA. if yes can anybody guide me on what I should write. Thanks

Started :
05/05/2013 EX :525,TU:542,EQ:535
09/30/2014 EX :655,TU:669,EQ:664
In Garden Since 03/16/2013
Will not Apply till 03/31/2015
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: question about good will letter

You can always request any party to delete their prior reporting, so yes you can send a GW.

However, in the case of a charge-off, that is essentially the reporting by the creditor that they have determined that you are not going to pay the debt.

That determination, which in accounting terms is referred to as "uncollectible," allows them to then recoup a portion of their loss via a tax writoff.

A party who has stated that you are not going to pay a debt is not usually in a frame of mind to grant good-will on a stiffed debt.

If the deb remains unpaid, that reinforces their negative perception, and is not likely, in my opinion, to be warmly received.

While they wont receive a penny of payment should you ultimately pay, the fact that it remains unpaid simply reinforces their perception.

The best course is to offer to pay the debt collector in exchange for the debt collector's deletion of any reporting they have made, and then to write the OC a good will, using the fact that you HAVE paid the debt as basis for showing that their statement that you were not going to pay the debt (i.e., rhe reported charge-off) was not the actual outcome on your part.  Much better chances of acceptance, in my opinion.

Message 2 of 3
from500to700
Regular Contributor

Re: question about good will letter

Thank you RobertEG

Started :
05/05/2013 EX :525,TU:542,EQ:535
09/30/2014 EX :655,TU:669,EQ:664
In Garden Since 03/16/2013
Will not Apply till 03/31/2015
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.