Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on PFD refusal

tag
rose214
New Contributor

question on PFD refusal

I sent a CA a PFD, offered to pay the full amount. I never heard back from it, so I decided to try and call them. The lady on the phone said that they won't delete it, but will mark it PIF. She said they don't do deletions on anything. Should I take the PIF option then try a GW letter or just leave it as a PIF? it will still help my credit to have it PIF but just not as much as if it was deleted right?

Starting Score 4/3/13 : FICO 612 TU (FAKO)--642 EX (FAKO) - 497 Equifax (FICO) 593
Current Score6/28/13 EX(FAKO) 602, EQuifax (FICO) 615, TU(FICO) 642 EX-(FICO) 657
Goal Score : 700+
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: question on PFD refusal

Paying a collection does not help your score.  It will look good on a manual review though.

PIF then start sending out GW letters.  Find the CEO or COO and send them one.

Message 2 of 16
exleyfam

How old is this account? When is it supposed to naturally age off?

4/23/2013 TU FAKO (CK) 610
4/26/2013 TU (Pulled by car dealer) 569
4/29/2013 EX FAKO (CreditSesame) 610
Message 3 of 16
rose214
New Contributor

@exleyfam wrote:

How old is this account? When is it supposed to naturally age off?

Date opened shows 1/20/12, but i think this account is from 2010 not sure exactly.

Starting Score 4/3/13 : FICO 612 TU (FAKO)--642 EX (FAKO) - 497 Equifax (FICO) 593
Current Score6/28/13 EX(FAKO) 602, EQuifax (FICO) 615, TU(FICO) 642 EX-(FICO) 657
Message 4 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

1st - find out real date of last activity

2nd - find date of transition from original creditor to collection agency

3rd - find out from OC if they still own the debt

4th - if the OC owns the debt, send them a PFD

5th - if CA owns debt, offer to PFD

6th - if CA refuses, in writing to PFD, then offer 1/2 the amount owed for a PIF notation on credit

7th - if that is how things proceed, the after about 6 months, start sending GW letters

The only company I have never had success with is Infiniti finance from 2006.  They still will not remove the dumb late.

Before paying in full, before have something in writing about deletion, I'd write the CEO and VP of original creditor and ask to have the debt brought back in house, and pay them for deletion.

The CAs that I've dealt with will not disclose over the phone that they will delete a derog.  I never call.  I write.  and send certified mail, signature required, return receipt requested.

Message 5 of 16
rose214
New Contributor

Hopelives2---i will try that route, thank you!!

Message 6 of 16
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Hopelives2 wrote:

1st - find out real date of last activity DOLA has nothing to do with when the account is excluded from your credit report

2nd - find date of transition from original creditor to collection agency DoFD is what needs to be determine here from the OC. If the OC shows a $0 bal they can not accept payment of any type.

6th - if CA refuses, in writing to PFD, then offer 1/2 the amount owed for a PIF notation on credit

7th - if that is how things proceed, the after about 6 months, start sending GW letters

The only company I have never had success with is Infiniti finance from 2006.  They still will not remove the dumb late.

Before paying in full, before have something in writing about deletion, I'd write the CEO and VP of original creditor and ask to have the debt brought back in house, and pay them for deletion.

The CAs that I've dealt with will not disclose over the phone that they will delete a derog.  I never call.  I write.  and send certified mail, signature required, return receipt requested.

Message 7 of 16
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@Hopelives2 wrote:

1st - find out real date of last activity DOLA has nothing to do with when the account is excluded from your credit report.  Date of Last Activity is when the 7 year period starts, so yes, it does matter.

2nd - find date of transition from original creditor to collection agency DoFD is what needs to be determine here from the OC. If the OC shows a $0 bal they can not accept payment of any type.  That is true.  However, I did have an occasion to have a medical bill be at $0 at OC, and then it went to judgment but the OC pulled the thing back and let me settle with them (I had to reach the top tier of the medical facility and beg, but I was able to do it)

Green is my response.

Message 8 of 16
MonkeyBelly
Regular Contributor

DOFD is the start of the 7 year period for credit reporting. 

I agree that GWs are a great tool to use after you pay the debt. I have had success having 30 day lates removed, 90 day lates, and also receiving GW on PIF collection from the CA by calling (yes, calling) and asking nicely. 

Starting myFICOs 2013
TU:664 March --> 726 May 25
EQ: 687 on March 6 --> 772 May 25
USAA EX (FAKO): 701 March 27 --> 768 May 26
Original goal (720+ across the board) achieved!
Message 9 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Hopelives2 wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

@Hopelives2 wrote:

1st - find out real date of last activity DOLA has nothing to do with when the account is excluded from your credit report.  Date of Last Activity is when the 7 year period starts, so yes, it does matter. No, it is not the DOLA, it is the DoFD.  DOLA has nothing to due the CRTP.

2nd - find date of transition from original creditor to collection agency DoFD is what needs to be determine here from the OC. If the OC shows a $0 bal they can not accept payment of any type.  That is true.  However, I did have an occasion to have a medical bill be at $0 at OC, and then it went to judgment but the OC pulled the thing back and let me settle with them (I had to reach the top tier of the medical facility and beg, but I was able to do it)

Green is my response.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.