Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

questions about collection accounts

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

questions about collection accounts

I posted previously some questions about 3 collection accounts I have. Since then I have gotten a little confused after reading so much info.  Before I go sending letters should I just dispute them with the CR agencies first and see if they just drop? Or if they validate them through the agencies will they renew the date of account opened, or I guess that is called reaging?

What I have is $30 with NCO from around 2008, $645 with Portfolio Recovery from 2009, and $500 something with Midland from 2012. All unpaid as of now. I am just curious if it is something I can do first before I bother with all the letters. Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: questions about collection accounts

@new_earth wrote:

I posted previously some questions about 3 collection accounts I have. Since then I have gotten a little confused after reading so much info.  Before I go sending letters should I just dispute them with the CR agencies first and see if they just drop? Or if they validate them through the agencies will they renew the date of account opened, or I guess that is called reaging?

What I have is $30 with NCO from around 2008, $645 with Portfolio Recovery from 2009, and $500 something with Midland from 2012. All unpaid as of now. I am just curious if it is something I can do first before I bother with all the letters. Thanks!

If you file an online dispute with th CRA's the verification process will go through e-oscar which 99.9% of the time come back verified. I would send DV letters to the 3 CA's. CRA's can't re-age a collection account. What is the SOL in your state?

Message 2 of 19
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

I'm in NJ, from what I can find online it is 6 years.

Message 3 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

It's up to you if you want to send the DV letters. It would put a bar on the collections until they verify. 

Message 4 of 19
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

what does 'put a bar on them' mean? sorry, soooo credit uneducated!

Message 5 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

what does 'put a bar on them' mean? sorry, soooo credit uneducated!

They have to stop all collection activites until they verify. Just because they list the account as a collection on your CR's doesn't mean they own it!!! I learned that from my Consumer Attorney!!!

Message 6 of 19
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

hmm....once they verify though, does that mean they are more likely to come sue me? There is really only one I can afford to pay off immediately, the $30 one. I want to fix all this but don't want to make things worse for myself....

Message 7 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@new_earth wrote:

hmm....once they verify though, does that mean they are more likely to come sue me? There is really only one I can afford to pay off immediately, the $30 one. I want to fix all this but don't want to make things worse for myself....

They could come after you. I would PFD the $30 one. Who is the CA on that one? 

Message 8 of 19
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

NCO....

Message 9 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

If you know its your debt I would call them and ask if they would do a PFD. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.